Rejected !

Only start topics in this area if you are applying for a Highways Agency post. If not please use a different area!
Haywain
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Chain Master'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Re: Rejected !

Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:22 pm

I think the problem here is that we are subject to an extended CRB because of our possible contact with minors and vulnerable people. This discloses all convictions regardless of when they occurred. It is then up to the employer, whether to ignore any old convictions.

As above, check with the CRB helpline and appeal, because a conviction 30 years ago and nothing else is hardly relevant!

Good luck
Regards

Haywain

Meetings didn't make the Roman empire great, they just killed anyone who opposed them!

Guinness Man
Navigator
Navigator

Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:53 pm

22 reg
It has to be worth a word with HR and if you are a union member they must have a legal dept use them as this seems so unfair given the age of the offence and your conduct since said offence. Given your career history and experience the HA would be missing out big time perhaps control room as has been sugested could be a way in, you could also try VOSA. I wish you well if you decide to pursue it and dont let it stop you posting. :D
People are like tea bags you have to put them in hot water to find out how strong they are.

saltpepper
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:05 pm

[quote="Grim_Reaper"]I would have thought that that would have been deleted from your records by now? Is it correct that something from 30years ago can still be counted yet, that same offence would be removed from your license after a set period?
Crazy world![/quote

Spent convictions after 7 years do not have to be divulged to an employer or prospective employer unless they are exempt the Rehabilitation of offenders act, all Central and Local Government jobs are exempt and they are entitled to access all criminal records spent or not.
Freedom of information and Data protection means nothing when you want to work and do a good job at that. 22Years in the Armed Forces counts for nothing obviously.
I have a Son who a similar offence DR40, he had been to a party then decided to sleep in his car rather than risk driving home from Oxford cause he was in the drivers seat asleep, they deemed he was drunk incharge of a vehicle, had he been in the passenger seat or the back the court said it would have been different.
He also had served in the forces and been to Iraq, came out of the service worked hard then went to that party, his service and work record meant nothing he lost his job got 10points and went down hill from there.

Wake up you paper shufflers in HR this guy served his Country probably seen more than most should have to see,( being married to someone whos served similar i can assure you they deserve our admiration not contempt) and we cast him aside for a hiccup 30 years ago yet the Army didnt.

Orinoco
Committee Member
Committee Member

Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:48 pm

saltpepper wrote:Wake up you paper shufflers in HR this guy served his Country probably seen more than most should have to see,( being married to someone whos served similar i can assure you they deserve our admiration not contempt) and we cast him aside for a hiccup 30 years ago yet the Army didnt.
Of course they didn't. Another Service run by a Government Dept (MOD) who make up the rules as they go, in this case the rule probably went along the lines;

Previous Conviction - suitable cannon fodder.

I'll say it again the country's F~#KED !!!!!!!!
If you try and don't succeed, cheat.... Repeat until caught.... Then lie

snafu
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:49 pm

Biffo wrote: but anyway, I agree with all that's been said, get some legal advice and fight it.

Biffo
You will probably find that the Dft has got an exemption for spent convictions for certain driving offences. :arrow:

Then again if the Immigration service can employ illegal immigrants :roll:

Re the pistonheads question.

I'm not certain on this but I think if a vehicle was originally designed and built (i.e. not a conversion) for the purpose of being able to sleep in it then you cannot be done for drunk in possession. This is why a trucker can have a few pints, return to his cab and as long as he does not put the keys in the ignition before he is below the limit he is OK.
Life, don't talk to me about life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic