Hello There!!!!

who are you? where are you? what do you do? do you go sailing down the Thames? canoeing down the nile? or trainspotting at Clapham junction?

Moderator: R C C

MaddYaker
Rookie Member

Hello There!!!!

Tue May 01, 2007 11:39 am

What a great site.
Hoped i'd find something like this but never thought it'd be so good.

I've got an interview/assement in 3 weeks time so thought i'd try to find someone to give me some advice on getting through. Found load of great threads including one already asking for advice so wont ask you to repeat yourselves.

Would be very interested to know what kind of background people come from though. I imagine that a lot of you are Ex police and other services. Wondering where my 6yrs as a driving instructor will stand me.

Are there actually any HA people likely to be at the assesment or will that still be run by the recruitment agency? If I walk in hoping on one leg singing songs from the jungle book wearing a blue peter badge as in the "magic handshake" thread will that give me any advantage?

Thanks in advance.

Yaker

Race Track
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Tue May 01, 2007 11:55 am

Hi MaddYaker,

Your assessment should be made up of a recruitment agency and HA staff. The HA staff may be uniformed staff from the Traffic Officer service, although it could be office-based staff.

My background is strictly, "need to know!" Image

M6 redneck
Committee Member
Committee Member

Tue May 01, 2007 12:01 pm

Firstly welcome, secondly Good Luck.

Assessment is not to bad, be yourself, keep cool etc.

At our outstation there are a few ex-services/police, but I think all have not come directly from these carees to the HA. Most come from a range of backgrounds and there is no majority from any one sector. I know of one ex-driving instructor and as it is face to face work, (dealing with people), I am sure it will stand you in good stead, (and oddly enough this will likely be more important to them then are driving skills).

Remembering its a people centric job, Redneck

PS. Previously I have run a restaurant, worked in a prison, been a driversmate, leased high-end computer hard/software, had a paper-round, managed a bar and landscape gardened. Think that is a good-ish micro-cosm of the people you could work with.
Last edited by M6 redneck on Tue May 01, 2007 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driving is like sex, everybody thinks they are good at it but in reality only I am.

Keokeo
Committee Member
Committee Member

Tue May 01, 2007 12:02 pm

Hi MaddYaker originally I would say your time as an ADI should stand you in good stead, I became a TO after 10 yrs as an ADI, but its mainly about customer service skills and handleing situations.At the last set of assessments I had 4 mates all ADI's who went along but they were told normally they would have got in but the caliber of candidate was so high they didn't make it.That said they all got feedback and have been invited to apply at the next recruitment.
All I would say is give it your best shot and be yourself and you should be OK.If you want to know anything else PM me and I will tell you what I can.
As for people's back grounds they are so varied I couldn't start telling you them all.
KK
I pretty much try to stay in a constant state of confusion just because of the expression it leaves on my face.

Tricky
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Wed May 02, 2007 7:07 am

Just be yourself. Remember the questions you asked and be prepared to go more in depth with them, and also think of other similar scenarios as they asked me similar, but slightly different questions so I was a fast re-think.

The scenarios are not as bad as you think, but think before you react as the situation may not be what it first seems :!:

Apart from that, You could try the old rolled up trouser leg/singing the jungle book thing, but unless the assessor is a member of NT, it would be a wasted effort :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Good Luck :!:

TheWanderer
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'

Wed May 02, 2007 2:24 pm

Good Luck Mad.

Its a great job and the varied backgrounds of people could put together a yellow pages! I'd say around 20% in my region are ex-services, many of whom have a 2nd income from their pensions!

Theres also a fair few young uns about mostly from public facing roles although there are also a few civil service bods who came across on level transfer

Keep reading and feel free to ask anything sensible you need to.

jezza
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Wed May 02, 2007 7:29 pm

Ex banker and former student teacher here - now fully fledged HATO

8)

Welcome to the farm

Jezza
Last edited by jezza on Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just say NO to user bars!!!!!

snafu
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Wed May 02, 2007 11:27 pm

Welcome and enjoy.

The advice above is good.

Good Luck :D

Bob Parr
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Wed May 02, 2007 11:35 pm

Hi just done my assessment, good luck, chill out, be yourself and be honest.

I really enjoyed mine (am waiting to hear)

Best wishes

MaddYaker
Rookie Member

Sat May 05, 2007 8:09 am

Thanks guys.

Really appreciate everyone taking time to offer help and advice. Think I do just need to go and be myself. Nerve racking though. Managed to be working for 12yrs but never had to take a formal interview so it'll be a whole new experience.

Will keep following all the threads on this site with intrest and see what else i can pick up.
Thanks again.

Yaker

MaddYaker
Rookie Member

Sat May 19, 2007 7:39 pm

Hi guys, just wanted to say thanks for all your advice on getting through the assessment which I attended last week. Definitely felt like I had an advantage especially during the group exercise and role play. I was a little surprised by the interview - I was expecting maybe 5 minutes of standard interview questions, but nothing! 100% competancy based questions. Should find out the result by Friday, so will let you all know.

Thanks
Yaker

Charl_Hunter
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'

Sun May 20, 2007 4:08 am

Let us know how it turns out for you Madd. All the best :D
Swatted

MaddYaker
Rookie Member

Thu May 24, 2007 12:41 pm

Hi guys

Thanks again to all who offered advice but I was not sucessfull with my application. Disapointed and gutted but as there were apparently 700 applicants and 60 interviews I should be pleased I made it that far.
Think it's made worse by the fact that I left feeling relatively confident(Unusual for me).

Definatly felt like the strongest candidate in the Group task but I was the only one trying to get the group to talk to each other so thats not saying much. Thought I held my own in the roll play exercises although I did feel I made a meal of playing the traffic officer. Probably not a good sign!
I would imagine I let myself down in the actual interview but we'll have to wait till I can get feed back to find out.

Been sat in the background on this site since i found it trying to get as much information as possible. Great bunch of Guys on here and i've loads of respect for the job your doing.

Stay Safe.

Craig

M6 redneck
Committee Member
Committee Member

Thu May 24, 2007 4:24 pm

Bad luck Yakker :(

Ashame as you obviously put the time in research-wise showing your egerness.

Always thought interviews were a poor judge of worth Redneck
Driving is like sex, everybody thinks they are good at it but in reality only I am.

jezza
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Thu May 24, 2007 4:57 pm

MaddYaker wrote:Hi guys

Thanks again to all who offered advice but I was not sucessfull with my application. Disapointed and gutted but as there were apparently 700 applicants and 60 interviews I should be pleased I made it that far.
Think it's made worse by the fact that I left feeling relatively confident(Unusual for me).

Definatly felt like the strongest candidate in the Group task but I was the only one trying to get the group to talk to each other so thats not saying much. Thought I held my own in the roll play exercises although I did feel I made a meal of playing the traffic officer. Probably not a good sign!
I would imagine I let myself down in the actual interview but we'll have to wait till I can get feed back to find out.

Been sat in the background on this site since i found it trying to get as much information as possible. Great bunch of Guys on here and i've loads of respect for the job your doing.

Stay Safe.

Craig
Sorry to hear that mate, get your feedback from the assessment board, gen up on it and apply when the next round or recruitment take place.

Might even be worth getting Falkor to set up a buddying system for the people who read this forum and have a definate interest in doing the job to get ahead on their application and have a batter chance of getting the job, rather than someone who knows how to hold a meeting and answer interview questions?

I know who I'd rather be crewed out with :wink:

Jezza
Just say NO to user bars!!!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic