Hello from NTCC

who are you? where are you? what do you do? do you go sailing down the Thames? canoeing down the nile? or trainspotting at Clapham junction?

Moderator: R C C

Genesis
Registered Member
Registered Member

Hello from NTCC

Post by Genesis » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:19 pm

Hello folks,

Been meaning to put a posting up for a while.

As one of the operators at the National Traffic Control Centre I thought I'd come and give you a nod and the wave.

Already seen a few bits where it looks like I'm going to have defend some of my work. I'm looking forward to it! :wink:

Cheers,
G.

Haywain
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Chain Master'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by Haywain » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:20 pm

Welcome Genesis, good to have you here
Regards

Haywain

Meetings didn't make the Roman empire great, they just killed anyone who opposed them!

Guinness Man
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Guinness Man » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:29 pm

Welcome Genesis

You are very welcome and I am sure we will learn much from you about the "Black Art" practiced at NTCC towers. :D

snafu
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by snafu » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:41 pm

Welcome aboard Genesis. :D
Life, don't talk to me about life.

Tricky
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Tricky » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:28 am

Hello and welcome Genesis.

Looking forward to getting the ins and outs of how and what you do up there a million miles from me :!: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Are you a Phil Collins fan or someone who is just "out there?" with that name?

TheWanderer
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'

Post by TheWanderer » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:10 am

Welcome. Good to have someone from NTCC on board at last

delta sierra
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by delta sierra » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:32 am

Do you get tired of us ringing constantly telling you about our roadworks?

Also, do you have a confirmed start date for C+C implementation there yet? I hear you and NILO have a read-only version of it and sit and watch our logs for anything juicy....

>> Someone from across the car park

saltpepper
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by saltpepper » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:27 pm

Glad to have you on board and maybe we have spoken from one car park to the other. :wink:

Genesis
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Genesis » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:27 pm

Cheers everyone for your nice welcome! Very good of you all. I think it's only fair that I respond to some of your comments.
TheWanderer wrote:Welcome. Good to have someone from NTCC on board at last
I'm sure I've got a bit of debate to look forward to and possibly the odd bit of defence! :lol:
Tricky wrote:Are you a Phil Collins fan or someone who is just "out there?" with that name?
Actually, I don't mind a bit from time to time... But I just quite liked the name anyway!
delta sierra wrote:Also, do you have a confirmed start date for C+C implementation there yet? I hear you and NILO have a read-only version of it and sit and watch our logs for anything juicy.
Still not been ironed out yet. Some of the NILO's have access but I'm doubtful it's going to be implemented in to our system for some time. I think there's been the odd trail with the NE RCC of recent.
delta sierra wrote:Do you get tired of us ringing constantly telling you about our roadworks?
Never, ever. Always nice to hear from our friends at the RCC's
Guinness Man wrote:You are very welcome and I am sure we will learn much from you about the "Black Art" practiced at NTCC towers. :D
Ha-ha. The black art... Love it!
saltpepper wrote:Glad to have you on board and maybe we have spoken from one car park to the other. :wink:
I'm sure I've spoken to lots of you. I'll give the real name if anyone PM's me. I believe I'm sometimes known for my "distinct" phone manner! :D
Hello to everyone else too that I've yet to quote.

Grim_Reaper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Grim_Reaper » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:10 pm

Welcome Genesis. Good to have you onboard.
By the way, I`m starting to suspect that here are supervisors who post quite freely on here and enjoy the opportunity to talk freely without the constaints of their red epaulettes. I know they would never come out in a forum and say they are supervisors but they are in here. To you Supes who enjoy this forum, good on ya.
P.S. I think there`s at least one O.M who probably pays this site a visit too. Shhhhh............. it`s a secret.
Fighting for peace is like Sh*gging for virginity!...

delta sierra
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by delta sierra » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:55 am

Also, I don't suppose you know if TrafficLink have access to COBs do you? Since they lost their cameras, within 30 seconds of us setting a lane closure they are on the phone... They are worse than you lot for hounding us :wink:

Genesis
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Genesis » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:05 pm

delta sierra wrote:Also, I don't suppose you know if TrafficLink have access to COBs do you? Since they lost their cameras, within 30 seconds of us setting a lane closure they are on the phone... They are worse than you lot for hounding us :wink:
Trafficlink def do not have access to COBS and I will very much doubt they will.

In fairness to them though, as they are the only media organisation you have the choice of telling them and they can inform ALL radio stations and media, or you may not and spend the next three hours getting calls from the roadside phones asking why it's so busy.

If you wonder sometimes why information on the radio broadcasts contradict what is actually happening with an incident, they are obviously getting crap info from the source and therefore have to rely on CPC's (car phone callers). 9/10 the CPC's are wrong.

Trafficlink will not embelish the story. If they have the facts, they will give the facts. And please don't confuse them with the media as a whole. Journo's will try to eek out as much as they can, finding out who's to blame etc. All Trafficlink are interested in is: what's happened, what's affected, where are the tailbacks, how long's it going to be there.

I'm sure even if you say there's a jumper to them they will automatically treat that as "incident". Rest easy, they want to remain your friends!

In fact, I'm tempted to start a thread to give the good word of them. Some Police forces are very pro travel media (Surrey was one of them) and realise the importance of quick, accurate information as it helps the boys on the roads. Others (decided to delete the comment on who I believe is the worst offender) couldn't care less.

As for HA Net, that's going through an upgrade right now so the next week or so will see problems. Hopefully it should iron itself out soon enough.

Hope that's of some help.

Biffo
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Biffo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:38 pm

Trafficlink also watch the "higways agency travel traffic information" pages of the website, and can therefore see what VMS are set.

I personally let Trafficlink know about an incident before I tell you lot down in the NTCC.
I also have a good raport with Trafficlink, and as I always update them quickly, if they phone when I'm busy (usually a new person!) i'll tell them that i'm busy, but will call them back with any new information when it's available.
Some of the "VMS plans" you have down there are RUBBISH, and need someone who knows what they are talking about, to give them a good looking at.
Apart from updating the website, setting strategic signs, informing the TV when something big is on, what else do you do in the NTCC???
He who dies with the most toys, WINS!!!

Charl_Hunter
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'

Post by Charl_Hunter » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:13 pm

Hello and welcome to the boards :D
Swatted

snafu
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion