HI ALL IM NEW TO THIS !!!!!!

who are you? where are you? what do you do? do you go sailing down the Thames? canoeing down the nile? or trainspotting at Clapham junction?

Moderator: R C C

Boro Man
Registered Member
Registered Member
Sacred: 'Ranger'

HI ALL IM NEW TO THIS !!!!!!

Post by Boro Man » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:07 pm

Hi everyone, im not sure if im intruding on here, so i apologise if thats the case, anyway the reason im on here is ive applied to be a traffic officer, so any tips, advice or info would be very much appreciated.

Alpha Bravo Guy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Elder Bard'

Re: HI ALL IM NEW TO THIS !!!!!!

Post by Alpha Bravo Guy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:11 pm

Hi BM and welcome, I suggest you search for the recruitment threads as most has been said before an you will find lots of info to answer most of your questions. :slby:
Please don't steal - the Government doesn't like competition!

Boro Man
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Boro Man » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:16 pm

many thanks ABG, i take it you enjoy the job then?

jezza
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'

Post by jezza » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:19 pm

Alpha Bravo Guy wrote:Hi BM and welcome, I suggest you search for the recruitment threads as most has been said before an you will find lots of info to answer most of your questions. :slby:
^^^what he said^^^

But anything that's not been asked already, or anything unique to your situation, pipe up :slgo:

In terms of enjoying the job, you'll come in, pick up a radio and some keys, have fun for 8 hours then come back in and f*** off home. What's not to love? :slbi:
Just say NO to user bars!!!!!

Boro Man
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Boro Man » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:23 pm

ha ha Jezza currently work for RAC so hopefully put me in good stead

Alpha Bravo Guy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Elder Bard'

Post by Alpha Bravo Guy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:47 pm

BM it's a great job and enjoyable, but like any job there are some let's say frustrating parts but adopt the right attitude and you will overcome. Plenty moan, not many leave.
Please don't steal - the Government doesn't like competition!

Guinness Man
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Guinness Man » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:32 pm

Welcome and they have done a good job on summing it up, its great!
People are like tea bags you have to put them in hot water to find out how strong they are.

Keokeo
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Keokeo » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:08 pm

Welcome to fold BM and I will second everything already said.Any questions just ask
I pretty much try to stay in a constant state of confusion just because of the expression it leaves on my face.

snafu
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by snafu » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:06 pm

Welcome BM. :slw:

The job is great. :slbi:

In fact I would liken it to a kebab. It tastes nice while you are eating it, despite all the **** that is in it, but sometimes it gives you indigestion :slrol: :slhehe:
Life, don't talk to me about life.

Race Track
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Race Track » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:52 am

snafu wrote:Welcome BM. :slw:

The job is great. :slbi:

In fact I would liken it to a kebab. It tastes nice while you are eating it, despite all the **** that is in it, but sometimes it gives you indigestion :slrol: :slhehe:
Morning OJ Vs Monitor moment Image

Boro Man
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Boro Man » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:39 pm

thanks to everyone for like-ability of the job,but can anyone tell me how the hours work? ive got 10.25 hour shifts in my info pack!!!

snafu
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by snafu » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:11 pm

Boro Man wrote:thanks to everyone for like-ability of the job,but can anyone tell me how the hours work? ive got 10.25 hour shifts in my info pack!!!
Errr not unless they have a new surprise for us :slrol:

8 hours 26 minutes is a standard shift, correct within the odd minute :slh: . This includes a 30 min unpaid ref break, which you may or may not get depending on how busy it is. :slbli:

Boro Man
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Boro Man » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:44 pm

hi snafu,thanks for reply my friend,i been reading through some links on this HATO site & there quite a few guys saying negative things i.e. 65% dont last 1st year & you can be transferred to diff role at no choice to individual concerned! can you tell me how you see things? also how long you been a TO? i was looking to gain a job as a TO & spend many years doing so! im currently working for RAC & have been for 15 yrs so the change for me has to be a good 1,is loyalty appreciated at HA ???

snafu
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by snafu » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:09 pm

Boro Man wrote:hi snafu,thanks for reply my friend,i been reading through some links on this HATO site & there quite a few guys saying negative things i.e. 65% dont last 1st year & you can be transferred to diff role at no choice to individual concerned! can you tell me how you see things? also how long you been a TO? i was looking to gain a job as a TO & spend many years doing so! im currently working for RAC & have been for 15 yrs so the change for me has to be a good 1,is loyalty appreciated at HA ???
I've been a TO on road for 3 years. :slbi:

Never heard of anybody being transferred against their will, but remember you do have to be reasonably fit and able :slst: to work on road. Same is true in the RCC but in different ways. :slgo:

As for lasting a year, I can only say that in my station 95% of the original gang are still in the service as TO's. :sltm:

Loyalty? Well the service is fairly new in the great scheme of things. As for coming in and doing your job day in day out.

Well you will be appreciated by those about you :slcup: :slcud: , but don't count on those in the Ivory Towers taking much notice. :slrol:

However, it is a great job. You have to have a thick skin sometimes and you will see some things you would rather not :slsic: :slhehe: . In the main though there is no reason why you cannot be a TO for many years. :slhd:

Boro Man
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Boro Man » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:51 pm

:slhi: hi snafu, thats given me a lift :slgo: you do sound as though you enjoy the job after 3 yr mind,
im quite a fit guy although ive just been fish shop for tea :slbi: hope i aint hounding you to much with questions just that im very interested...
when on the road, are you allways in a pair? yeah i can imaging you have to be thick skinned too, but to be honest that shudnt bother me,
having said that how far can a TO go before other emergency services step in? :slclap:
thats 1 of the main reasons why im wanting out of my current work is because the appreciation has gone, so that would be a bonus, i much prefer a good team spirit & everybody helping eachother were they can but with out the brown tonguing if you know what i mean :D can i ask what you did before being a TO snafu? :slst: :slwi:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic