Right, - Waiting List!

who are you? where are you? what do you do? do you go sailing down the Thames? canoeing down the nile? or trainspotting at Clapham junction?

Moderator: R C C

Westender
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Right, - Waiting List!

Post by Westender » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:27 am

Hi all,

I have been lurking around for the last month or so but thought i should wait a bit to post had my letter today saying I'm on 'The Waiting list' :slcup:

I got told at the Assessment day Friday 31st July by the recruiters that some people would get 'yes join us right now' and others would get 'you were good but you gotta wait a bit'.
My Letter said i was successful and was on an initial waiting list as all successful candidates are and the immediate vacancies will be filled from the top of this list. so am i now on a waiting list to go on the waiting list? :slhuh: and what are the chances of an immediate offer?

Heard some mention of being able to call and find out where on the list you are, who to call??

I applied on the 25th June, received invite on the 8th of July assesment on the 31st and letter on the 7th august is this normal?

Anyway i hope you can help i am really eager to get started.

W.E.
1 out of 3 people are unbalanced, look around if everyone seems normal... your the one!

grumpy
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: Right, - Waiting List!

Post by grumpy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:58 am

Hi WE, and first of all welcome and congrats!

The waiting list thing is a bit backwards in coming forwards! I believe ALL passed applicants go on to a list, in "marked" order. Therefore, when a vacancy arises the first person will be contacted, and offered the job if they still want it. This then continues every time a vacancy arises. As for "immediate" vacancies, that depends on various factors. If there are immediate vacancies, you will simply get a call sooner rather than later.

Actual timescales vary, it could be tomorrow, next week, or even in a couple of months just for an immediate vacancy. Some wait over a year. This is sadly a fault of the system. You have to factor in how many people can do the foundation course; if they filled the course up with, for example, 15 North West TOs, then the rest of the regions wont be happy as it pushes their own new starters back even further at least a month, and the whole system grinds to a halt! Its about fairness.

The best thing you can do is call the contact number on the letter you received. They will then probably pass you a HA number to call. Keep ringing this number every few weeks, dont let them forget you!!!! Keep asking what is happening. They may not tell you where you are on the list (they wouldnt tell me) but at leat you appear keen.

Its not the fairest system for new staff, in fact its terrible, but its the Civil Service way...very very slow. I have been there and know the frustration you may feel. But keep calling them and asking, eventually you will be here, helping to keep the shares of McDonalds and Morrisons up high!
No matter how good she looks.... Somebody, somewhere is fed up of her $hit....!!!

Westender
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Westender » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:17 pm

Thanks grumpy,

Called the number and they told me that they would get 'Somebody' to call me back and explain the waiting list to me as (apparently) Everybody is equal on the list, so i asked how people were picked when positions arise, got the whole; the person who knows that is not here today so left my number.

Obviously there must be a best comes first system would it not be fair to let people know that, for example they scored really high and would be considered for the first post that came up or even that they didn't and would take longer.
Some useful feed back like this would be good just so you know where you stand.

P.s Does Any one have the Highways Agency HR number so i can get on to them now instead of talking to the monkey(Recruiters).
1 out of 3 people are unbalanced, look around if everyone seems normal... your the one!

snafu
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by snafu » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:45 am

grumpy wrote:Hi WE, and first of all welcome and congrats!

I believe ALL passed applicants go on to a list, in "marked" order.
Firstly may I 2nd grumpy :slclap:

Secondly, not quite true. When an assesment centre is conducted, it will have a target for immediate and waiting list. Only the top whatever get on each list.
Life, don't talk to me about life.

grumpy
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by grumpy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:03 pm

snafu wrote:Secondly, not quite true. When an assesment centre is conducted, it will have a target for immediate and waiting list. Only the top whatever get on each list.
Oops, I stand corrected!
No matter how good she looks.... Somebody, somewhere is fed up of her $hit....!!!

Haywain
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Chain Master'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by Haywain » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:44 pm

Don't let that put you off Westender, often the list of available candidates (both on the main list and the waiting list) can shorten dramatically for all sorts of reasons: increased turnover in the particular outstation, people not being available for the foundation course, finding other jobs etc

Good luck
Regards

Haywain

Meetings didn't make the Roman empire great, they just killed anyone who opposed them!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic