Hi From New Zealand

who are you? where are you? what do you do? do you go sailing down the Thames? canoeing down the nile? or trainspotting at Clapham junction?

Moderator: R C C

kiwipo
Registered Member
Registered Member

Hi From New Zealand

Post by kiwipo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:47 pm

I am a former New Zealand Traffic Officer, still living and working in NZ but no longer in the job.
Prior to 1991 all traffic enforcement in New Zealand was done by Traffic Offices, not police. In 1991 the Traffic Officers were sworn in as Police officers and the Traffic branch was merged with the police, adopting the same uniforms and vehicle graphics as the police.
We had motorcycles, V8 patrol cars, unmarked cars and incident vans with safety equipment for use on Motorways.

Today there is a very small branch in the police known as Motorway Support, staffed by non sworn Traffic Officers who wear a different uniform to out police. Although they don't have full police powers they do have the powers to stop motorists and can write tickets. They drive special vehicles with normal police markings, and to the general public they look just like police.

Since leaving the Job I have worked with a Police Dept in California as a paid Reserve Officer and as a Federal Police Protective Officer in Australia, I now work as a Ranger back in New Zealand.

I was also lucky enough to work as a stunt rider in the movie trilogy "Lord of the Rings" Galloping about bashing orcs was great fun.

My favorite holiday location is South Africa, I have spent a lot of time in various game reserves including the famous Kruger National Park enjoyng the wildlife of Africa.

I've been a member of the Police Specials site for several years, if I was living in the UK I would be seriously looking at joining the Highways Agency. Patrolling the highways and helping people were tow of the aspects of being a traffic officer I really enjoyed, and I envy you guys who do it for a job.

PS The avator is me in 1980 as a Kiwi Traffic Cop :lol:

Northern Lad
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Northern Lad » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:45 pm

Welcome to the forum Kiwipo.

Isn't the internet great. A complteley fresh perspective from the other side of the world.

Traffic Officer is a great job at the moment, as you rightly say, patrolling the motorways and helping people. I just hope it stays that way.

We have a number of ex police officers and all sorts of other people in our area but I've yet to hear of a background quite as varied as yours.

Hope you enjoy the site,. :) :)
Northern Lad
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

Northern Lad
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Northern Lad » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:47 pm

PS: V8 patrol cars sounds like more fun than our 4x4's :D :D

I want one :!:
Northern Lad
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

PavementPizza
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by PavementPizza » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:57 pm

I think we may see the future in kiwipo's past.

:?:
"I'm at MPxxx/x, I've got skid marks, any knowledge"

kiwipo
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by kiwipo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:26 pm

PavementPizza wrote:I think we may see the future in kiwipo's past.

:?:
If you mean the merging of the HATOs with the police, and the formation of a Police non sworn TO group to do the same job, probably a good idea.

It has been suggested that NZ Motorway Support Officers drive vehicles that bear no resemblance to Police cars, but since they do traffic enforcement and the main advantage of driving the same cars is the deterrant effect of police cars on the motorway they have been left as they are.
The majority of the public don't actually realise they aren't police, and the main critics of their use of police cars are some police officers.

There is a bit of a mind set amongst many police here (and I suspect everywhere) that only a full time trained paid sworn officer can do police work. Which is why we don't have anything like the special constables that most countries have.

These police officers do forget that the only difference between a police officer and civilian is a bit of training and a sworn warrant status.

Our system of non sworn Traffic Officers working for the police works very well,but even here it is very under utilised with only one City actually using them, and only for motorway duty, and with only a million pop in that city the motorway system isn't huge.

snafu
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by snafu » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:49 pm

Hello kiwipo.

As others have said, interesting to have a view from so far away and your info and history of TO's in NZ very interesting.

Hope you enjoy the site and keep imparting your experience :D

TheWanderer
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'

Post by TheWanderer » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:17 pm

Hi Kiwopo and welcome - Wow, stunt riding for Lord of the Rings! Our very own site celeb!!

Having watched "Motorway Patrol" it seems like Motorway Support Officers do virually the same job as us except for fixed penalty tickets and that they work for the police as opposed to the Department for Transport (but originally DID work for Ministry of Transport)

Flash
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Flash » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:18 pm

Welcome kiwipo........I can only reiterate what everyone else has said already!!! :wink:

You are a most welcome newcomer to our small but elite band of people on this forum!! :D
Proud to be part of National Traffic!!!!!

Blackrat
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Blackrat » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:55 pm

Hello and welcome. I belive you may be the first one on here from outside the UK !!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic