Moderator: R C C

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Class: 'Ranger Varient'

Travelling community are distressed by the M25 works

Post by falkor » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:56 pm

By Amie Mulderrig
Members of a travelling community who claim they have been treated like second class citizens say they fear for their safety as M25 works are carried out close to their homes.
Travellers have lived in The Oaklands, Abbots Langley, for about 11 years.

Mary Watson, who owns the Bedmond road site and lives in a motor home there, says that she has reached “the end of her tether” with the Highways Agency as it carries out vital M25 widening work between junctions 20 and 21.

Trees which had shielded the community from the M25 have been ripped down by contractors Skanska Balfour Beatty to make way for the motorway.

The foliage, which stood on Highways Agency land, has been replaced with a metal barrier to protect residents from the traffic.

But despite insistence from the Highways Agency that residents are protected from the motorway, Mrs Watson says the barrier is completely inadequate and poses a safety risk.

She said: “There are gaping holes between each of the panels, we can’t let any of the children play on the site in case they wander onto the roadworks.

“We’ve asked them to sort this out since October last year and each time there’s some excuse as to why they haven’t helped us.

“Enough is enough. What are they waiting for, does someone have to die before highways act?”

The 62-year-old grandmother also claims residents are unable to sleep because of the noise and bright lights from the roadworks.

She said: “They are constantly drilling and digging up the road, creating large clouds of dust. It’s got to the point where I have to clean the front of my home three times a day.

“I’m always coughing and suffering from migraines.

“Then at night they’ve got their floodlights on. We’ve tried black out blinds for the windows, but even then it’s like Blackpool illuminations.”

kipper
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Travelling community are distressed by the M25 works

Post by kipper » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:20 pm

............ and the optimum word for our none 1st class citizens is ...-----....... " travelling "

:slby: :slby: byeee :slby:

The One who smiles when it goes wrong, has thought of someone to piss on .

Daisy
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Daisy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:46 pm

Hang on, if they have been there for 11 years, then surely they aren't travellers? They are stayers?

TheWanderer
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'

Post by TheWanderer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:28 pm

At least the HA have planning permission to be there :slre:

I'd have thought the contractors would have been a good source of profit for the Do What You Likies in the form of generators and red diesel left conveniently nearby :slzi:

Daisy
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Daisy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:02 pm

Oddly enough, that section of the M25 doesn't have the normal problems associated (normally blamed) on the travelling community as the Essex stretch. In some parts of the A12 about 25% of the signs have been nicked.

There is a nudist camp nearby that is having a similar problem with the widening works:
http://www.stalbansreview.co.uk/news/82 ... ing_works/

TheWanderer
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'

Post by TheWanderer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:30 pm

Only 25% of the signs Daisy?

That's a really poor effort on the part of whoever is stealing them although it gives me another thought:
Traveller referring to the temporary safety barrier wrote: There are gaping holes between each of the panels, we can’t let any of the children play on the site in case they wander onto the roadworks.
One would wonder how these holes appeared. No doubt a local scrap dealer may be able to cast some light on this missing Armco.

TM1
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Centaur'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by TM1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:21 pm

Perhaps they could plug the holes in the barriers with their scrap metal they always seem to accumulate. :slzi:
Don't walk in front of me I may not follow,
Don't walk behind me I may not lead,
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic