for Recruitment and General Issues

Moderator: R C C

Chocolate boy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Colin McRae Dead

Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:53 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/gla ... 997134.stm

Sad news. First British World Rally Championship winner and all around lunatic. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:25 am

Sad news indeed, I knew Colin from a previous job, he always took the time to speak to the lads, he will be sadly missed :(

Jock Abroad
Committee Member
Committee Member

Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:55 pm

Condolences to his family and friends, a quality Scottish/British sportsman who actually won things. Seemed a damn nice fella too.
Speed is not a cause, it is a contributory factor. It's incompetent driving that kills!

northern monkey
Registered Member
Registered Member

Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:05 pm

Colin McRae balls of steel !!! he never quit unless the car did an even then he would drive it on three wheels to complete the stage !!! its a sad day
who stole your lunch our billy ? "that monkey wiv du funny coloured bum dad "

Discopete
Executive Member
Executive Member

Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:30 pm

Very sad indeed

All i seem to remember when growing up was Colin McRae mentioned in the news for his achievments,

My thoughts go out to all involved :cry: :cry: :cry:
Keep'in the wheels turning

Northern Lad
Executive Member
Executive Member

Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:42 pm

What a tragedy.

Colin was an inspiration and a hero to so many motorsport fans across the world.
I've seen him in action many times and marvelled at his skill and bravery.

Our thoughts are with Allison who has lost a husband and a son, and the McRae family.

Northern Lad
Northern Lad
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

Nevr you mind
Committee Member
Committee Member

Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:23 pm

Yes, very sad. :cry: :cry: To add to it, David Richards, Prodrive Boss, then crashed his Chopper returning from the Belgium GP. Unreal.
CORRECTION! The most common lie isn't "I'm fine" The most common lie is "I have read and agreed to the terms and use of conditions"

mondeoman
Committee Member
Committee Member

Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:12 pm

As i Scooby fan,it is a sad day for motorsport,especially so soon after Richard Burns.
Remember,the motorway can be a dangerous place.

Chocolate boy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:04 pm

Not only Colin and Richard but Michael Park, Possum Bourne, Roger Freeman and Mark Lovell all have died recently in Rallying. :cry:
:cry: :cry:

Chocolate boy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Colin McRae Dead

Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:16 pm

An Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) investigation has failed to come up with a definite cause for the helicopter crash which killed 1995 World Rally Champion Colin McRae.

McRae, 39, his son Johnny, five, and two family friends - Ben Porcelli, six, and Graeme Duncan, 39 - were killed when the Squirrel helicopter McRae was flying crashed near his Lanark home in September 2007.

The AAIB report into the accident said that McRae's five-year flying licence had expired in February 2005 and that he was also not authorised to fly his Eurocopter Squirrel helicopter because his "valid type rating" had lapsed in March 2007.

The report said that no cause for the tragedy could be positively determined but revealed that McRae had been "undertaking a demanding manoeuvre" prior to the crash.

A five minute video of the flight, taken by passenger Graeme Duncan, was recovered by investigators and used to help piece together the last moments of the journey.

The helicopter's main rotor is believed to have stuck a fir tree as it flew at high speed and low height through Mouse Water Valley close to McRae’s house. The AAIB said McRae could have been trying to recover from this and "attempting to arrest a rate of descent" when he crashed.

“The helicopter probably reached 130-135 knots (150-155mph) as it descended into the valley and its groundspeed would have been about 150 knots (172.8mph) due to the tailwind," said the report.

"In attempting to fly in the valley at relatively low height and high speed, the pilot was undertaking a demanding manoeuvre. A high-speed, low-level turning manoeuvre in the heavily wooded valley was a demanding one, which would have subjected the helicopter and its occupants to an increased risk.

"Descending at relatively high speed, and with a strong tailwind, accurate judgement of the turn would have been very difficult. The pilot placed his helicopter in a situation where there was a greatly reduced margin for error, or opportunity to deal with an unexpected event.

"A sudden harsh manoeuvre could have had other implications which, singularly or in combination with the above, could have contributed to the accident.”

In a statement, the parents of Ben Porcelli said: "We are relieved that the AAIB report has finally been published. The cause of the crash is clearly outlined in the report. Most of the flight was captured on video and it is clearly evident that unnecessary risks were taken and that the accident was completely avoidable."

Colin's father Jimmy told the BBC: "The AAIB report, in line with the findings of our own experts, has been unable to reach any firm conclusions on the accident and it is therefore extremely difficult to come to terms with the fact that we will never know the actual cause of the crash.

"It has been confirmed by the instructors, examiners and fellow pilots with whom he flew, that Colin's skills as a helicopter pilot were of the highest order.

"This has been a very sad and distressing time for us, as it has been for the Porcelli and Duncan families, and we would now like to draw a line under this tragic affair."

The last thing I want to do is insult you......but it is on the list

Merlotmonster
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Psychic Rogue'

Re: Colin McRae Dead

Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:52 pm

Very sad to see that the accident was avoidable. I guess Colin always liked to push things to the limit, and flying was just an extension of his rallying..

A sad end to a legend.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic