Vic Mackey
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Berserker'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

HATO RESPONSE DRIVING COURSE

Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:20 am

Is there any merit to the rumour of Mouchel Parkman having bid for and subsequently won the 'Response Driver' training course?

Guinness Man
Navigator
Navigator

Re: HATO RESPONSE DRIVING COURSE

Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:10 pm

Not heaard a thing about that but if it comes that will put the cat amongst the pigeons. Completion of a IAM coarse for all may be better.
People are like tea bags you have to put them in hot water to find out how strong they are.

Tricky
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'

Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:38 pm

Agree with GM. I think would give us a far better standing with Joe Public if the HA got together with the IAM, and got us all through their course.

Going to what you ask Vic, I heard the same thing, but J17 was doing a quote for it. Time will tell if it either a) happens and b) who does it.

I'm not going to hold my breath that the HA will do it any time soon, so looking at something else myself, for my own benefit.

TheWanderer
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'

Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:34 pm

I also think the IAM course / assessment is a good option and is based on police roadcraft anyhow - this is the CURRENT one the HA should be putting us all through, and once completed we could worry about the ins and outs of anything further. I genuinely believe the basic "assessment" offered to us is inadequate for the types of dodgy manouevers we have to perform as part of our work, and we've had litle or no training in planning or forward observation skills that play a significant part in safe driving.

Has anyone tried to get the HA to let them have a few days paid time off to attend any sort of self-funded driver training?

snafu
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:19 am

Vic Mackey wrote:Is there any merit to the rumour of Mouchel Parkman having bid for and subsequently won the 'Response Driver' training course?

God I hope not, they can't even book hotels properley :evil:
Life, don't talk to me about life.

Vic Mackey
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Berserker'

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:29 pm

snafu wrote:
Vic Mackey wrote:Is there any merit to the rumour of Mouchel Parkman having bid for and subsequently won the 'Response Driver' training course?

God I hope not, they can't even book hotels properley :evil:
Hehe Naughty!

Jane Hill fan Club
Executive Member
Executive Member

Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:20 pm

If MP are involved it will be a diasater..........hasnt anyone learned anything from their previous capers.........even so why do we need the course and in large 4x4s?....and what happens to those who dont pass the course..........and remember some didnt make it first time out on the airfields and 3 days on the network

Orinoco
Committee Member
Committee Member

Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:02 pm

Jane Hill fan Club wrote:......and remember some didnt make it first time out on the airfields and 3 days on the network
Are you saying, there were recruits who didn't display an acceptable level of competence in driving and thus got kicked out? :shock:

Well, there are a lot more who made it through! :shock: :shock:

The general standard of motorway driving (IMHO) within the TO service is pretty poor (not dangerous) and it is down to the HA to rectify that. Every TO should be able to set an example to the public in their standard of driving, that won't be possible without additional training (for most).

It is a must! Doesn't have to be response driving but should at least be up to the IAM level.
If you try and don't succeed, cheat.... Repeat until caught.... Then lie

Jane Hill fan Club
Executive Member
Executive Member

Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:42 pm

Orinoco wrote:
Are you saying, there were recruits who didn't display an acceptable level of competence in driving and thus got kicked out? :shock:
As far as I know they went back a 2nd time and reached the required level.

We should remember that on joining the HA the standard of driving was set at `a clean licence`. I fear its too late to change some peoples driving.....there are some old and bold amongst us.

jezza
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'

Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:10 pm

I think Orinoco has a good point. We were started with the majority (i think it's fair to say) of TO's with a regular, bog standard driving licence.

Some of us had police advanced training, some of us HGV/LGV training, some PSV categories, but there wasn't a minimum level of driving skill or attitude needed to get through our initial assessment and I think that can sometimes now come back and minifest itse;f with some of our colleagues.

I've been out, quite recently, with people who have let the red mist drop quite rapidly, for a relatively minor issue caused by another driver and I've got to say, it's a bit scary if they're willing to act like that in a marked, livered crown vehicle. How do they act when they're out and about in their own car with the family strapped in the back?

Am I too laid back for my own good when I'm sat in the drivers seat? Or is it more that i've tried to incorporate and anticipate other drivers behaviours in my driving 'plan' and adjust my thinking and road position accordingly before it becomes an issue?

I've thought about this a fair bit since Vic posted it up last night, and I think that right now, the best thing the HA or us by ourselves could do is try and adjust our thinking so that if we are 05 to a job, then we're not giving ourselves extra, unnecessary pressure and stress that manifests itself in a more aggressive driving style.

I'm not meaning we should get all pink and fluffy over going to a job and pootle along at 50mph to get there, but I think some of us need to get out of the habit of running round like a blue ar$ed fly trying to get to a job by ragging the backside of a Disco. I'd rather get there a few seconds slower with a lot less grey hairs and be able to do the job without having my legs turn to jelly the minute I unstrap myself from the passengers seat, than not reach the job because my Oppo's just put us broadside into a MoP. :3s:

Jezza
Just say NO to user bars!!!!!

mops1
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Cloistered Cleric'
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:16 pm

This is one area where the HA have failed it's staff (us) and the the public. We should have all had driver training so that we are all driving in the same manner. Those that failed a recourse say would not make it as far as outstations.

However that did not happen and if it did I suspect some would not pass and that would create a even bigger headache for the civil servents in their cosy offices !
No need for a resposne course until we get some sort of response role (speeding, use of warning equipment etc..) Lets start off with all singing from the same hym sheet.

Haywain
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Chain Master'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:31 pm

Rumours of response training has been around ever since we started, along with blue lights, sirens, VMP panels in the vehicles, scrolling arrows on the VMP panels etc, etc ...........The VMPs arrived in 2005 if my memory serves me correct and it looks like (hopefully) we will soon have scrolling arrows so never say never :!:

I don't know if there is anyone from the ELC on here who can provide the full picture, but my understanding is that Mouchel Parkman still hold a consultancy contract role on procedures but have nothing to do with training now. I believe the training support contract is now with Qinetic, who often use Junction 17, along with others as sub-contractors.
Regards

Haywain

Meetings didn't make the Roman empire great, they just killed anyone who opposed them!

snafu
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:39 pm

Haywain wrote: I believe the training support contract is now with Qinetic, who often use Junction 17, along with others as sub-contractors.
That is my understanding. Vic just game me an attack of the vapours when he suggested they might have got back in :lol:
Life, don't talk to me about life.

Haywain
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Chain Master'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:45 pm

snafu wrote:
That is my understanding. Vic just game me an attack of the vapours when he suggested they might have got back in :lol:
Passes the smelling salts over :twisted:
I had to think twice, nasty sense of deja vue :!:
Regards

Haywain

Meetings didn't make the Roman empire great, they just killed anyone who opposed them!

Orinoco
Committee Member
Committee Member

Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:08 am

Safe, Progressive driving is an art that has to be taught.

If we improve observational skills, we give ourselves time to forward plan for any eventuality. Giving ourselves time to plan or react serves both to aid progress and be safe.

Progressive driving is NOT about speed. You can be progressive driving within a 30mph speed limit with good observation.
If you try and don't succeed, cheat.... Repeat until caught.... Then lie

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic