The One hour travelling rule?

for Recruitment and General Issues

Moderator: R C C

Adrenalin's Brown..
Rookie Member

The One hour travelling rule?

Post by Adrenalin's Brown.. » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:00 pm

Hi All, :D

I am reading through my application pack and don't wish to appear thick but could
someone please clarify the part that says:-

" You'll also live within one hour's drive of your place of work"

I live 34 miles away from the outstation of which 32 are motorway miles..
I believe this could be done within one hour providing the motoways moving well ??
If I had to travel through towns/cities I couldn't cover that distance in one hour..

Is there a mileage limit as well as a time limit?

The irony of this is I live within walking distance of my local RCC....

Thanks in advance for any response
AB..
Stay Safe..

Grim_Reaper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: The One hour travelling rule?

Post by Grim_Reaper » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:15 pm

As a rule, the HA ask that we all live within an hours drive of our outstations. You should also bear in mind that, when starting at 6am, you`ll be travelling at around 5am and the road should be quieter.You really shouldn`t have a problem, however an even better idea would be to, get the job, then apply for a transfer to your RCC.
Fighting for peace is like Sh*gging for virginity!...

Haywain
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Chain Master'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by Haywain » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:20 pm

Further to what GR said, the maximum acceptable distance from home to outstation is usually set at 50 miles so at 34 you are well within that. The way fuel prices are going the shorter the better!
Regards

Haywain

Meetings didn't make the Roman empire great, they just killed anyone who opposed them!

TheWanderer
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'

Post by TheWanderer » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:53 pm

I agree. I know of TOs travelling further than 34 miles but the costs of fuel and vehicle maintenance will hit you hard in the pocket.

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by slabber » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:59 pm

I travel 30 miles one way, all on single lane A road. On earlies and nights I can do it in about 35-40 minutes on lates with normal rural traffic, tractors, lgv's etc it takes me about 45-50 :shock:

Asap
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Asap » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:50 pm

That must be about £4 each way

18 shifts a month =8x18=£144 a month = over 10% of take home pay, are you a hobby hato by any chance :lol:

Think of it in those terms andrenalin, some of the people we stop with commute 50 or so miles each way and sit in traffic over an hour extra each day with the queues, i'e 10 hrs a week minimum,

I think i'd rather take a £5000 a year pay cut and work closer to home :idea: or maybe move house.

What are people thinking about :?:

Ps i do 16 each way about £75-£80 a month, varies illegally :shock: from 20 mins to 45 each way :evil:

2 questions
1. which hato has the biggest fuel bill a month.

2. If a civil servant transfers in to save their job/ar**e rather than take redundancy and be a do-lite should they be paid excess fares, if so why ? ( Not forgetting they can be starting on £5'000 a year more than an ex traf plod with 20+ years relevant experience,(excl pension factor))
Laying cones-Delaying people, What's today's imaginary KPI?

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by slabber » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:57 pm

Asap wrote:That must be about £4 each way
18 shifts a month =8x18=£144 a month = over 10% of take home pay, are you a hobby hato by any chance :lol:
No, I'm not a hobby HATO, I'm the sole earner in the house. I drive a 2L car and my monthly fuel bill is over £200 a month :shock:

hbboyo
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by hbboyo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:02 pm

Grim_Reaper wrote:As a rule, the HA ask that we all live within an hours drive of our outstations. You should also bear in mind that, when starting at 6am, you`ll be travelling at around 5am and the road should be quieter.You really shouldn`t have a problem, however an even better idea would be to, get the job, then apply for a transfer to your RCC.
How easy would it be to transfer and at what stage could you do it?

snafu
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by snafu » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:32 pm

hbboyo wrote: How easy would it be to transfer and at what stage could you do it?
When can you do it, well as soon as you start. :D

How easy.

Well you will have to wait for a vacancy :(

Then there might be others with a request prior to yours :x

But then you might like it so much where you are assigned that you want to stay :D

Or you might get assigned to the RCC outstation straight off 8)

IMHO if you are going to be travelling bang a request soonest , you can always withdraw it or decline the offer:wink:
Life, don't talk to me about life.

TheWanderer
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by TheWanderer » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 am

Once in it may be possible to transfer to a station closer to home if a vacancy exists, and indeed if you have one.

Single Malt
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Single Malt » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:07 am

hbboyo wrote:
How easy would it be to transfer and at what stage could you do it?

Officially you have to Wait a year before you can transfer, they can reduce this to six month's in special circumstances.
however I know of one HATO who transferred to a different outstation nearer his home after 4 month's. :wink:

cone dropper
Committee Member
Committee Member
Alignment: 'Lightning'

Post by cone dropper » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:34 am

slabber wrote:
Asap wrote:That must be about £4 each way
No, I'm not a hobby HATO, I'm the sole earner in the house. I drive a 2L car and my monthly fuel bill is over £200 a month :shock:
Don't forget Car Tax, insurance, wear and tear. :roll:

Time to buy a 1.0 hybrid, I think!
Remember your a womble!
Tidying the network 24/7, of things people leave behind.

Adrenalin's Brown..
Rookie Member

Post by Adrenalin's Brown.. » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:54 am

TheWanderer wrote: the costs of fuel and vehicle maintenance will hit you hard in the pocket.
Thanks for the replies and suggestions of a possible transfer should I get in... :D

I do ride a motorbike (hence my username) so time/costs could be reduced for 8-9 months
of the year...Wouldn't fancy making the journey in ice/snow etc...fair weather rider..

:idea: I could always live in my caravan on the car park...LOL..Just think how much money I would save?? Drinks on me...

Thanks Again
AB. Stay Safe

Asap
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Asap » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:57 am

TheWanderer wrote:Once in it may be possible to transfer to a station closer to home if a vacancy exists, and indeed if you have one.
When they set up in the regions they offered me a different o/s to the one i applied for, twice the mileage, bearing in mind i was already on a big pay cut to come it made the difference as to whether i could even afford to be a Hato.

A quick friendly chat with HR at the earliest oportunity when they offer the jobs is best, this led to a swap before the positions were offered, great comment though from HR, " To be honest i don't know where any of the oustations are or where's closest"

That's why for years the H/A had unpaid professional staff passing one another on the motorways and byeways of britain (good plan though, you have to hand it to them) , paying out a fortune in fuel, twice the carbon footprint impact and month's/years to sort out a simple oustation swap between two hato's, and this is still going on due to poor reource management :roll:

PS YOUR OUTSTATION IS USUALLY A CARAVAN YOU COULD LIVE IN THAT :lol: :lol:
Laying cones-Delaying people, What's today's imaginary KPI?

Dave
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dave » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:50 am

I was doing 70 miles plus each way per day. All but the first mile on M/W! and all in about and hour :oops:

You cant do it for long... get the transfer in quick..... I now do about 15 miles each way..... much safer and a lot cheaper.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic