Moderator: R C C

Discopete
Executive Member
Executive Member

A Question if i may

Post by Discopete » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm

Hello all

Just got a question to ask please

I was on the M42 the other day attending a broken down coach, when i got there it was in one of those emergency layby thingys, and a HATO crew were there, (hard Shoulder not running) i looked at the coach, found the broken part and returned to the workshop to collect the part,

on my return the hard shoulder was running due to the time i day i suspect (heading towards rush hour) anyway, i pulled in behind and put some cones out as always, and the coach driver had been given a log number and a phone number to call if we needed the hard shoulder closed, now i had to work on the offside of the coach, there was plenty of room for me to work safe but the hatch on the side of the coach would be getting very close to hanging out in the hard shoulder lane, so we rang the number assuming the RCC ???

and a lady told us all crew were busy and someone would be with us in 20 mins, OK i thought, 45 mins later a crew turn up and cone off the hard shoulder, now im not knocking the way the crew did things, and always appreciate the HATO's help, but why did the RCC just not change the gantries to close the hard shoulder like in normal day time use, once the HATO crew arrived by the time they had cones and signs out and moved the vehicle into position, i had fixed it,

in fact a strung it out a little bit longer so the HATO did not get pissed off with me :)

just wondering if anyone could answer this please
Keep'in the wheels turning

jezza
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'

Re: A Question if i may

Post by jezza » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:39 pm

Was it an 0845 number? or one with a 'regular' local area code?

If it was an 0845 one, it was probably HAIL, who would have passed the message onto the RCC, but there can sometimes be a delay in it getting to the crew patrolling that area. It's also probably fair to say they may have a 'different' perspective to crews on the road and RCC Op's who know their patch and it's inherent dangers better than someone based in Quinton?
Just say NO to user bars!!!!!

Bob Parr
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bob Parr » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:02 pm

As Jezza said, also there will always be buffoons who insist on ignoring signs and signals and driving through

Found it jezza :1:

jezza
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by jezza » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:59 pm

Bob Parr wrote:As Jezza said, also there will always be buffoons who insist on ignoring signs and signals and driving through

Found it jezza :1:

Good isn't it?

I do believe it's replaced : thu : as my favourite smiley.

:1:

Just out of interest, was the coach still fully laden with punters? or had they been offloaded and moved onto another coach?

If so, would two coaches fit into an ERA safely? I think it'd be a bit of a tight squeeze...
Just say NO to user bars!!!!!

Discopete
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Discopete » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:04 pm

yes two coaches do fit, but nothing else, it was full when i left to get parts but empty when i got back

and it was a local 0121 number, i guess it was the direct rcc number??
Keep'in the wheels turning

Blakey
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Blakey » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:39 am

Discopete wrote:why did the RCC just not change the gantries to close the hard shoulder like in normal day time use
I'm guessing that if the shoulder is being used anywhere in the area, it must be treated as a normal live lane. i.e. they can't just stop hard shoulder running at the one location. The alternative would be to stop hard shoulder running throughout the area, causing even more congestion.

Can anyone from West Mids confirm?
I'll get you Butler

conedoff
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by conedoff » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:12 pm

hi all

The reason is all the lanes are always treated as live, no matter what the gantry's show, so the hard shoulder ( LBS 1 )
is always treated as a live lane.

If a crew stops on it for any reason they do not box out but have to do a full tapered lane 1 closure, if its open running or not

For a fitter working in an ERA bay the procedures require that Lane 1 needs to be closed next to him as the ERA bays are pretty much classed as part of that lane, that is if the fitter / mech etc is close to lane 1, its the call of the crew on the ground combined with the view the room would get from the bay cameras that would judge it.

it is possible to close links along the ATM but as i say below safety is paramount as not everyone follows the signs, and in certain parts especially the entry to the links the signage can be a bit confusing for some motorists who do not use it regularly and of course foreign drivers

I used to think why ? but had a very close encounter with a car doing 70 plus up LBS 1 when it was closed !! so it is done for a good reason viewers.

Nice to know your still around Disco pete !!

Hope this answers the question :mrgreen:

Race Track
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Race Track » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:32 pm

conedoff wrote:hi all

The reason is all the lanes are always treated as live, no matter what the gantry's show, so the hard shoulder ( LBS 1 )
is always treated as a live lane.

If a crew stops on it for any reason they do not box out but have to do a full tapered lane 1 closure, if its open running or not

For a fitter working in an ERA bay the procedures require that Lane 1 needs to be closed next to him as the ERA bays are pretty much classed as part of that lane, that is if the fitter / mech etc is close to lane 1, its the call of the crew on the ground combined with the view the room would get from the bay cameras that would judge it.

it is possible to close links along the ATM but as i say below safety is paramount as not everyone follows the signs, and in certain parts especially the entry to the links the signage can be a bit confusing for some motorists who do not use it regularly and of course foreign drivers

I used to think why ? but had a very close encounter with a car doing 70 plus up LBS 1 when it was closed !! so it is done for a good reason viewers.

Nice to know your still around Disco pete !!

Hope this answers the question :mrgreen:
And this is ebing extended around the country!

Fantastic.

snafu
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by snafu » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:33 pm

More work, no more resources. :roll:

And we are suppose to improve our KPI's how :evil:
Life, don't talk to me about life.

Tricky
Elite Member
Elite Member
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Tricky » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:54 pm

Because we will have more work, and have to travel less distances to get to the next RTC, for as long as we can before we run out of vehicles being wiped out.

Have to say though, working to a certain degree on APTR then we are always live lane anyway, so have got used to those issues. Its a regular occurrence to have vehicles heading at us at 70 plus mph, and not know we are there to the last minute when they put their mobile/hairbrush/make-up/razor/sat-nav/mapbook/diary/briefing notes/etc down :shock: :shock: :shock:

conedoff
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by conedoff » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:08 pm

spoolily enough though the ATM has cut the amount of rtc's on the m42, you do have to really have eyes in your buttocks as well though !!

The main issue for TO's working that stretch would most of the while be carrying out the sweeps of the links and some of the other tasks, camera alignment checks etc !! which are distinctly boring :shock:

Nighthawk
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Demi-Undead'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Nighthawk » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:11 pm

Should be fun! :?
Yea Though I Drive Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Fear No Evil....... (Junc 16 - 17)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic