single crewing

for Recruitment and General Issues

Moderator: R C C

Timmy Taper

single crewing

Post by Timmy Taper » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:31 am

Recently all T.O`s at our OS were questioned individually by staff from Transport Research about their feelings working singled crewed. They explained that the HA was under pressure to begin patrolling/working on APTR`s, adding the Agency had used up its budget for doing this project!

The answer to this was a collective NO at my OS. Wondered what other T.O`s thoughts are on this subject

As one T.O. said, "it seems strange how they have spent all their time telling T.O`s that they must always watch the traffic....now there thinking of sending us out singled crewed".

stay safe :3s:

State4
Official Member
Official Member

Re: single crewing

Post by State4 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:10 pm

Yes yes yes please bring on single crewing for our own sanity if nothing else! Since joining the job 2 years ago my head is turning to mush because you don't get enough of a personal challenge. Theres always someone else there doing it for you. I know there are some frightened little lambs out there that are afraid of the big bad world but remember we're all adults and capable of performing such a task.

I'd suggest that after your probation is completed then if you are confident in being single crewed you should sign an official document stating you are happy to do so. If you aren't then thats also fine and if it came to it the single crew TO will have to double up.

You would have two TOVs on each patrol route doing the bread and butter on their own and communicating with each other which BDV's they've stopped at and when one needs an RRB from the other for deberis etc but as soon as (for example) a L/Lane incident occurs both units are sent giving you two sets of kit, lights and presence at the scene. And you will still have two heads being better than one.

Some food for thought:

x4 vehicles + x8 TOs = £££££££££££££££££
x4 vehicles + x4 TO = £££££££

flameinoursouls
Official Member
Official Member

Post by flameinoursouls » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:07 pm

I'm all for it subject to proper training and competancy of individuals. We've been treading water for 2 yrs at least now and still no sign of APTR's. Bring it on I say
It doesn't take a degree in applied bollocks to know what's going on.

Yogi
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Yogi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:10 pm

I'm all for it.

Yes there are certain safety issues to consider, but on the whole I don't have a problem with being out on my own. There's probably a 60/40 split at my place, in favour of single crews. At the minute we have 4 routes and 5 cars, plus a roller skate (Grandis). Alledgedly in the not too distant future the Grandis will go, and we will have 7 proper cars, i.e. 4x4s. We're told this is to improve resilience and make managing mileage easier, but the conspiracy theorist in me says it's for more patrols and with it single crews.. Who knows.. :?
"Find a job that you love, and you'll not do a day's work again.."

Grim_Reaper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Grim_Reaper » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:45 pm

I think in another post, on another subject, someone once said "Look at some of the people in your outstation, and you will see why this wont be allowed to happen"
I still think that holds true. There are a few wannabe cops out there who, if it wasn`t for the calming influence of a colleague sitting beside them, would`ve have been in deep doo da by now.
I emphasise, they are only a few, but there are enough to make me worry about what would happen if they were allowed out on their own.
Fighting for peace is like Sh*gging for virginity!...

Orinoco
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Orinoco » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:49 pm

It appears an inevitable progression for the service if ££££££'s is the issue and let's face it now the purse strings have been pulled tight £££££'s appears to be the only consideration.

If the BiB can do it so can "we" :-]

At least you'd be able to get yer annual leave approved, just think of all the xtra manpower....sorry, personnel :wink:

Me thinks it's some way off yet. Just think how many meetings this would need! Can't even sort out a shift pattern!!!! :roll:

YEP, years off. 8)
If you try and don't succeed, cheat.... Repeat until caught.... Then lie

Keokeo
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Keokeo » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:36 pm

A big YES from me.as for who would be competent and who would not perhaps 1to 1's and PDP's could be used for a change and TM's actually making a decision instead of just completing them and sticking them in the individual's file.It needn't be compulsory if a TO was not happy with it they could just say NO
I pretty much try to stay in a constant state of confusion just because of the expression it leaves on my face.

Jane Hill fan Club
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jane Hill fan Club » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:13 pm

Subject to being assessed as being suitable as a single crew person I would love the challenge of being a single crew person - I have already done it now and then to cover unexpected gaps in manpower

The only `problem` I can forsee is some persons wanting to do it and having to be told - `its not for you`

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by slabber » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:32 pm

The point is some of us in the past have held responsible positions and are used to working alone with the minimum of supervision, whereas there are certain people amongst us who need supervised tying their bootlaces :?

Dave
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dave » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:02 pm

not sure on this one (but I think APTR's would be considerred as a greater risk than normal)

The civil service are always very careful when it comes to H & S, if there are any risks or even the even the smallest chance of something going wrong I think it will be two man crews for the forseable future.

In the grand scheme of things the TO service costs peanuts... I dont see money currently being a problem.
Last edited by Dave on Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cone dropper
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Lightning'

Post by cone dropper » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:29 pm

[quote="Dave"]not sure in this one (but I think APTR's would be considerred as a greater risk than normal)
quote]

I have a friend who works on one of the stretches of APTR and she goes out single crewed, as a team manager when necessary. She says that the road just stops when there is an incident, so it is not too bad working alone, however she usually works closely with police colleagues. She says at night she would never consider it as the road runs really fast with little or no protection.

I am sure it will come to us all soon, both APTRs and single crewing. Who will we have to share those long nights with, watching blackadder.
Remember your a womble!
Tidying the network 24/7, of things people leave behind.

Jim433
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Jim433 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:31 pm

Sorry, whats APTR?

:roll:

cone dropper
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Lightning'

Post by cone dropper » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:32 pm

All Purpose Trunk Road

such as A12, A14, A1 etc No hardshoulders
Remember your a womble!
Tidying the network 24/7, of things people leave behind.

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by slabber » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:33 pm

Jim433 wrote:Sorry, whats APTR?

:roll:
All Purpose Trunk Road or main A road to normal people :wink:

Race Track
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Race Track » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:39 am

It will happen. The HA have already done their own report on it which supports it, but not at the time of compilation as everyone's skills set were in the "low" category. A few years down the line and it would be ok.

I agree with the suggestions on here. Subject to an assessment/bit of training where required single crewing would be better. As long as they don't try and penny-pinch and shorten the routes so there are more cars covering the same area (single crewing requires better back-up options when needed).

AFAIK, the cost of a lease 4x4 is cheaper than a TO wages for the same period.

Say 10 on a shift (for 5 patrols) and 2 leave anyway. You could get 2 more cars and have 6 patrols (one being double crewed for whatever reason) and bingo!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic