Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medals

for Recruitment and General Issues

Moderator: R C C

CraigDavid
Executive Member
Executive Member

Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medals

Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:16 am

I'm posting this because, as many of you will know, your in box's will be full of it. The HA internal email system seems to have set up it's own forum and stolen a march on NT.

I'd never given getting a Jubilee Medal a second thought until it was raised and posted on the internal email. I wasn't bothered either way, until I read the reason why the TOS was considered ineligible for one.

The official wording for those personnel deemed suitable to receive one was thus;

"Emergency services personnel who have been in paid service, retained or in a voluntary capacity, who have to face the prospect of dealing with emergencies as part of their conditions of service, and have completed five full calendar years of service on 6 February 2012".

Alas it has been decided TO's do not fit this definition. As I said before I didn't give it a second thought, until I read that and the response given to it, which was;

"I do understand that some officers will find this news disapointing. However, I would like to stress the Board's recognition of the important role traffic officers play in delivering services to road users and others on our network, whilst operating in a high risk and sometimes traumatic working environment".

*NB: Board's capital B, traffic officers, small case.

I am not saying we should be put on a par with say, the Police or Ambulance Service, each service has it's own unique difficulties, just that we do it without any specific training in the scenes we face and without proper support.

However should we expect any less as our conditions of service do not specify the prospect of dealing with emergencies. We are just expected to deal with them without the proper recognition we deserve. We all face the prospect of a dead body whether it be in an RTC, a jumper or a pedestrian the difference being we are not trained to deal with it and we aren't given any proper councilling after the fact. The usual scenario involves the question "are you OK" with the usual reply of "yes". That's it, job done. Or is it?

I wouldn't wish to be the defence barrister years down the line trying to defend the HA against litigation for post traumatic stess disorder due to the fact no proper professional help was given or even offered.

I digress, the fact is we do deal with traumatic events, nationally on a daily basis. However we do it, if I may be so bold, on the side with the implied permission of our employees who must cross their fingers so tight they hurt. We do it because we volunteer to do it over and above what we are expected to do because we are professionals who will not shy away from what could potentially be a life changing event for us. We know we will always go above and beyond what the public, and Government, think we do. Sadly some in positions of power, know exactly what we do but do not want to draw attention to it outside of the TOS because it would mean our role would deserve a higher rate of pay and widespread public recognition. We are basically First Responders on the cheap but we have known this from the start. So you have to ask, why do we complain about it? I think after years of thinking that we might actually get recognition for the work we do to get the statement I quoted above really is the icing on the cake.

If it makes you feel better just think of youselves as an exclusive organisation so top secret that the public, the Police and even your own employers don't know what you do. Maybe that's why we're given no recognition, we don't, officially exist, black ops working out of numerous Area 51's in hi-viz uniforms and 4x4's patrolling the badlands in search of alien life forms in the guise of Highways Agency Traffic Officers. That's the best I can do to justify the complete disregard our employers give us. Over.

Race Track
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medals

Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:43 am

It's not our employers who have decided on the rules - its the Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport who proposes it to Her Maj, who then approves it.

I think your issue goes much deeper than just getting a medal. It's about why were were never, or there are no moves to (you can thank the House of Lords for that) classify us as a Cat 1 responder and thus an emergency service.

I can't understand why people want one anyway.

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:27 am

I've got a real medal earned doing my job, I don't need a "gizzit" just for wearing a uniform. :slgo:

CraigDavid
Executive Member
Executive Member

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:28 am

Race Track wrote:It's not our employers who have decided on the rules - its the Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport who proposes it to Her Maj, who then approves it.

I think your issue goes much deeper than just getting a medal. It's about why were were never, or there are no moves to (you can thank the House of Lords for that) classify us as a Cat 1 responder and thus an emergency service.

I can't understand why people want one anyway.
By employers I mean not just the HA but wider Government. And is I said I'm not that bothered about getting one, I'm more concerned over the quotes and what thay imply.

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:16 am

I know I'm sick of my inbox getting blitzed by a bunch of "gimmee gimmee gimmees!!"

Defender
Registered Member
Registered Member

Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:02 pm

Traffic Officers are not emergency responders and AFAIK no plans in the future operating model to change that. The point sometimes gets missed that the RTC you are being dispatched to is so you can manage the traffic situation. You may be first on scene but the remit at that point is not to take the role of the Police or Ambulance but to summon the correct first responder with accurate details to help them in their job. The fact that some in the job try and attend at above legal speeds shows a lack of understanding the role we have. Any perceived lack of training or support to carry out first responder duties also shows the same lack of understanding in my opinion.

As to welfare I think that there can be some in the management chain that wouldn't understand the concept if it hit them in the face - I just hope there are some TM's and OM's out there that get the importance of staff welfare and act accordingly.

The jubilee medals are for the emergency services. The TOS have never set themselves up as such and quite rightly do not qualify for one.
Def.

snafu
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:09 am

Whilst I fully agree with the point the OP is making....I don't give a flying anything about any medal.

Defender

I agree with the basis of the point you make re we never were a Cat 1...but are you seriously suggesting we stand about and do nothing apart from throw out a few cones when we are first on scene??????
Life, don't talk to me about life.

Defender
Registered Member
Registered Member

Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:02 am

Snafu,

No of course not. I was trying to put across the point that I think there can be an element of mission creep with some TO's trying to attend jobs at speeds that is uncalled for and usually outside of their training / capability. For what? To deal with incidents and areas outside of their scope of work. Those times when we are naturally first to attend an incident there are a whole host of things that are important that we need to do - making the scene safe, confirming locations, calling for appropriate responders / resources etc.

I hear a lot about lack of training and recognition for the stuff we do but when all is said and done the extremes of that (fires, dead bodies, serious injuries etc) can and should be attended by the appropriate service. After all I don't hear so much about Ambo or Police wanting more fire fighting skills / equipment for example.

My genuine concern is that doing things far from our training, skills, equipment and procedures will come back to bite us hard when things go wrong. At that point the HA wont offer any kind of help and support and will easily quote procedures and recent statements that we are not an emergency service.
Def.

TangoOscar31
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Psychic Rogue'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:14 pm

slabber wrote:I've got a real medal earned doing my job, I don't need a "gizzit" just for wearing a uniform. :slgo:
Likewise, although I'm lucky and privileged enough to have a few. :slgo:

Any medal that's not military related is worthless IMO.

I find it amazing that you 'orrible lot aren't cat 1 responders! You're brought in to free up trafpol yet you can't "make progress" to incidents. :sldoh:

LANDSHARK
Committee Member
Committee Member

Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:50 pm

PCSO's are getting it, so don't know why you lot aren't????

icmouse
Official Member
Official Member

Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:05 pm

I dont think its the issue of the compressed cardboard cut out (Medal) although with some people it will be, I think the majority of what is beating everyone up is the comments that were made in the email that was sent out, I think looking at some of the names that have emailed back this issue is going to be going on for some time.

I have enough to keep me polishing for a while, dont need another worthless piece of TAT. My view My opinion.

icmouse

Race Track
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:17 pm

What would people wear it on? We don't have a dress uniform FFS.

dadsmail
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Ogre'

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:57 pm

Hi,
Traffic Officers are not emergency responders and AFAIK no plans in the future operating model to change that. The point sometimes gets missed that the RTC you are being dispatched to is so you can manage the traffic situation. You may be first on scene but the remit at that point is not to take the role of the Police or Ambulance but to summon the correct first responder with accurate details to help them in their job.

I Agree!

This explains exactly why we should not get the medal. We are not a Cat 1/ emergency service. The fact that some people believe we should be is not relevant, we are not. If we got it then what about beach lifeguards, RNLI etc? where would the line be drawn?

We do arrive on scene first, a lot more times than management would ever believe, and we do our very best to help in situations that are beyond our training.......BUT.... we always have the option of standing back if things get too much and reverting to traffic management, Police/Amb/Fire don't have this option.

I would much prefer the top brass to put there efforts into making the service better and, more importantly , keeping it going than lobbying to get us a medal!

snafu
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:53 pm

Defender wrote:Snafu,

No of course not. I was trying to put across the point that I think there can be an element of mission creep with some TO's trying to attend jobs at speeds that is uncalled for and usually outside of their training / capability. For what? To deal with incidents and areas outside of their scope of work. Those times when we are naturally first to attend an incident there are a whole host of things that are important that we need to do - making the scene safe, confirming locations, calling for appropriate responders / resources etc.

I hear a lot about lack of training and recognition for the stuff we do but when all is said and done the extremes of that (fires, dead bodies, serious injuries etc) can and should be attended by the appropriate service. After all I don't hear so much about Ambo or Police wanting more fire fighting skills / equipment for example.

My genuine concern is that doing things far from our training, skills, equipment and procedures will come back to bite us hard when things go wrong. At that point the HA wont offer any kind of help and support and will easily quote procedures and recent statements that we are not an emergency service.
Fair enough...got you that time :slgo:
Life, don't talk to me about life.

TheWanderer
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'

Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:12 am

LANDSHARK wrote:PCSO's are getting it, so don't know why you lot aren't????
Do you have this "officially" Landshark?

There were a number of "real" 999 Responders who did not qualify lastime around so if PCSO are getting it, why aren't members of the Red Cross for instance?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic