Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medals

for Recruitment and General Issues

Moderator: R C C

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medals

Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:15 am

I've been a Red Cross member for 18 years, I know we're not getting it.

Jane Hill fan Club
Executive Member
Executive Member

Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:10 pm

I am embarrassed by some of the comments from my work colleagues contained in their emails. It appears they have not grasped the concept of who we are and what we do. All of this sent to all on multi address emails. Quite bizarre..

kipper
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:10 pm

Jane Hill fan Club wrote:I am embarrassed by some of the comments from my work colleagues contained in their emails. It appears they have not grasped the concept of who we are and what we do. All of this sent to all on multi address emails. Quite bizarre..
Me too ,
and i quite agree ,

and very truly bizarre, --- yet open and not secret squirrelled. :slgo:

Tiz true,
that unfortunately the head(s) and powers to be , and other internal offices staff and roles
have no real understanding of a HATO + the job role in the field, but then why should they or why should they be bothered ?? same goes in both directions .

It has been very apparent when away on days out from the collective and having spoken and met others, whom it appears - TO`s are still educating and yet to educate more of their ways -- but thats by the by.

Seems to have become apparent at a union meeting held recently when a head shed was reportedly quoting as having stated " Traffic officers are never 1st on scene " :sldoh: :sldoh: oh dear :sldoh: so wrong :sldoh:

But HATO`s are cone chuckers - a lesser evil of a road works - with a smile and a wave :slhd: :slby: ,
to assist to manage traffic - no more no less ime afraid . or am i wrong ?

Who need s a 10p sized bit of tin and coloured ribbon anyway ?? probably not even worth 10p.

We`re getting an extra day Bank holiday in June 2012 to commemorate it anyway,
which is far more worth than a sticky pin ribbon .

:n151:
I apply tin hat and await the fallout :slsa:

The One who smiles when it goes wrong, has thought of someone to piss on .

ukmedic1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:43 am

Defender wrote: After all I don't hear so much about Ambo or Police wanting more fire fighting skills / equipment for example.
I'd love some more fire fighting equipment :-)

TM1
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Centaur'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Having read all the posts, and not taking any sides, I have to say it would be a very cheap option to offer some recognition for the work we do :sltm:
Don't walk in front of me I may not follow,
Don't walk behind me I may not lead,
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Race Track
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:54 pm

But WHY?

We don't work for a Cat 1 service or are part of the Armed Forces. The rest of the CS aren't getting one.

Are you saying that MI5/6 should get one, or UKBA?

(clearly, the person sending the latest email [since recalled] apparently doesn't have a desire to continue his career in the HA. I wonder what 'Box mark' he will be next year)

Nevr you mind
Committee Member
Committee Member

Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:32 am

Although it's true we don't work for a Cat 1 service or are part of the Armed Forces, it doesn't mean we cant get any recognition for the work we do. Some of the stuff we deal with is not in the realms of what most people do on a daily basis. Yes, a lorry driver might stop after seeing a crash and see a dead guy but how many dead people have you seen in this job?? How many almost dead or seriously injured. How many people in their regular job deal with or do the things we do?? We're unique.

To say the rest of the CS aren't getting one and compare them to us is ludicrous. "Well done for designing Managed motorways, have a medal" or "Good job on planning for a major event, heres a medal". Most other CS staff are office based and never deal with what we have to. Even UKBA don't see the stuff or deal with what we do. Our job is pretty unique and regardless of whether we were never "Meant" to get on scene first, we do. So we get to a car left the road and pull up on the shelf, what do we do?? Just throw a few cones out to protect the scene?? No, we go to the car, check for casualties so we can inform the RCC of what the situation requires, number of Ambo's, does it look like being a fatal, do we need to get other units to close the previous junctions, the list goes on. Therefore you see people in distress and in bad states. We've all seen people led on the road, been first at suicide attempts and one of my colleagues performed CPR on someone for a substantial time. In all my previous roles I have been commended in some way or another for a job well done so why cant we be recognised for the diverse role we do? Maybe not a QDJM but something. Something you wear or carry that you can be proud of to say "I'm a long serving TO and my employer cares about me". I dont see anyone wearing their "Investor in people" badge because generally speaking, right now they invest nothing in us instead, choosing to save money by moving people from OM/TM roles into the FOM to make it appear that we are losing immediate HA staff when really they're just being moved sideways while also we still face real cuts.
CORRECTION! The most common lie isn't "I'm fine" The most common lie is "I have read and agreed to the terms and use of conditions"

Defender
Registered Member
Registered Member

Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:02 pm

The HA does have several ways to recognise staff achievement in STARS and YMIH awards every year. I think the issue is probably a mixture of managers not being aware of these awards or reluctance (for whatever reason) to want to recognise their staff. That said, there is also probably a lack of staff coming forward with stuff that they have done. After all, the nature of remote working means that sometimes the stuff we do will get missed.

I think sometimes we have to also understand that in the current climate TO's are not on the radar to lose jobs unlike many other public services. With that in mind my recognition is my pay packet and be thankful that the HA is looking at efficiencies in working practices rather than headcount.
Def.

TM1
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Centaur'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:23 am

Have to admit perhaps a bit more recognition in the pay packet would be a lot more beneficial, but with the current climate I don't think that is likely to happen in the near future.
Therefore the cheap option would be the offer of the medal. :slw:
Don't walk in front of me I may not follow,
Don't walk behind me I may not lead,
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Nevr you mind
Committee Member
Committee Member

Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:03 pm

Ok, so many guys have bought thier own pin badges. Why?? Why would anyone spend £2.50 of their own money on a badge?? Because they take pride in what they do and want to show they are a TO. I've even seen TM's with them on. So the HA can't afford £2.50 for a recognition pin badge or long service pin badge?? It'd mean more than the investor in people badge that no one wears.
CORRECTION! The most common lie isn't "I'm fine" The most common lie is "I have read and agreed to the terms and use of conditions"

Northern Lad
Executive Member
Executive Member

Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:28 pm

The job is being screwewd, pay is frozen, and TO numbers are being allowed to fall.

We face an uncertain future and some tinpot medal that you don't even have to earn generates more discussion..............................

I despair.
Northern Lad
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

Bob Parr
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:54 am

I've got my medals that I earned and personally don't believe that we should get them. However I believe that as a crown employee perhaps the cs should introduce a long service award for staff to recognise the commitment made and services rendered to the crown.

Am however disgusted at some of the comments communicated on the emails though

Nighthawk
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Demi-Undead'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:26 pm

Please NO MORE RUDDY EMAILS! Ya not getting a medal so have done with it! Jeez!!!!!!
Ok, rant over!
Yea Though I Drive Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Fear No Evil....... (Junc 16 - 17)

Nighthawk
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Demi-Undead'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:26 pm

Bob Parr wrote:I've got my medals that I earned and personally don't believe that we should get them. However I believe that as a crown employee perhaps the cs should introduce a long service award for staff to recognise the commitment made and services rendered to the crown.

Am however disgusted at some of the comments communicated on the emails though
Long service.. Is that after 5 years?
Yea Though I Drive Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Fear No Evil....... (Junc 16 - 17)

Guinness Man
Navigator
Navigator

Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:07 pm

Personally I dont agree with the majority of medals, those that are given for extraordinary acts of bravery or exceptional service to society fair enough all the rest should be binned.
People are like tea bags you have to put them in hot water to find out how strong they are.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic