Staffing Levels

for Recruitment and General Issues

Moderator: R C C

Guinness Man
Navigator
Navigator

Staffing Levels

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:20 am

At my outstation we have lost several people over the past 12 months for a variety of reasons. The upshot is we sometimes struggle to get leave and put out patrols at the level that has become the norm. We have also seen various shuffles of O.M's and their responsibilities but no reduction in numbers there. Is this trend repeated around the country, I know of other outstations in my region in the similar position?
People are like tea bags you have to put them in hot water to find out how strong they are.

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Staffing Levels

Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:01 pm

We're on the bones of our @rse. Some nights we only have one patrol covering the whole of the county. Over the last couple of weeks we've only put out 2 patrols during the day were we used to have 4!!!

Capt. Jack Sparrow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:44 pm

We are way down and compounded by long term sick and maternity leave. I think the "flexible rostering" and single crewing is why they won't bring numbers up and it was announced today the government is looking a road privatisation so we will probably have to wait for the outcome of that along with the result of the cook report. All in all not looking good
It is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out Savvy

Guinness Man
Navigator
Navigator

Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:23 pm

It seems to me that most of the savings that have been made so far have come from the headcount dropping at T.O. level, how are contorl rooms doing?
Todays announcement of roads privatisation is for new roads not the existing network, you only have to look at the M6 Toll to see how popular that will be.
Our local Police forces are under just as much pressure to put patrols out as well with only one RPU available at night on a regular basis and sometimes during the day only two. I have had to wait recently for 35 minutes for Police to arrive at a reasonably serous multi vehicle RTC. All of this seeme to be the result of cuts.
People are like tea bags you have to put them in hot water to find out how strong they are.

snafu
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:35 am

Whilst I would agree that some savings have been made from a drop in headcount I think that has just been something that has helped rather than part of the plan. TBF the recruitment freeze is not HA doing but an instruction from above.

I know at least one RCC that is 20%+ down on headcount. Where there are outstations that have not had too much loss they are, certainly in my region, spreading themselves ever thinner to try and help cover outstations that do not have the staff to get patrol levels out!

Single crewing I think is being seen as a panacea to the ills of on road...not sure what RCC is supposed to do?

Strangely I am told that some regions are however advertising for vacant OM posts that need to be filled because the poor lambs have so much to do!!!!! Awww bless we can't have them getting stressed now can we????? :slrol:

Also bet exactly the wrong people get the OM jobs :sldoh:
Life, don't talk to me about life.

Guinness Man
Navigator
Navigator

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:35 am

A 20% drop in head count delivers a sizable saving taking all the associated costs into account. On road with fewer patrols available also gives savings. We have had a reshuffle of O.M,s so that each O.m. now looks after 2 outstations but there is no reduction in numbers those that dont have outstations have been given various portfolios that look like they have come from what each O.M. was doing for example airwave, health and safety, vehicles etc so no savings, not that I want to see people lose their jobs. I also think it will be the norm for us to be single crewed in the near future as a way of maintaining patrol levels something I am seeing more of with our local police forces.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:59 am

Guinness Man wrote:A 20% drop in head count delivers a sizable saving taking all the associated costs into account. On road with fewer patrols available also gives savings. We have had a reshuffle of O.M,s so that each O.m. now looks after 2 outstations but there is no reduction in numbers those that dont have outstations have been given various portfolios that look like they have come from what each O.M. was doing for example airwave, health and safety, vehicles etc so no savings, not that I want to see people lose their jobs. I also think it will be the norm for us to be single crewed in the near future as a way of maintaining patrol levels something I am seeing more of with our local police forces.

Why do people on this site follow on what the Police are doing all the time?

The HA is not a Police force and are under different Health and Safety rules.
ie the Police have exemptions!

The HA is just a very badly run government dept with next to no innovation skills
it is being nursed along with consultancies who haven't got a clue.

That is why the PM wants shot of you.

grumpy
Committee Member
Committee Member

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:13 am

Where does it say the PM wants shot of the TOS? Or are you talking about the HA in general?
No matter how good she looks.... Somebody, somewhere is fed up of her $hit....!!!

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:36 am

grumpy wrote:Where does it say the PM wants shot of the TOS? Or are you talking about the HA in general?
Sorry the HA i was referring too, the Traffic officers do a fantastic job under very difficult harrowing circumstances but unfortunately
your employers are typical useless civil servants that just cost this country money. The so called "operational" "managers" :slbli: are not coming up with any constructive solutions in clearing roads everything I hear about them is winged them their hand is out for a £47000 pay packet

Maybe that is why you are losing staff through sickness and resignations left, right and center. I hate to say it but i think its a bleak outlook for the TO service
unless you get radical! just like the tube workers and transport for London (TFL) are doing for the Olympics.

Capt. Jack Sparrow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:47 am

Our RCC has been struggling for staff for a couple of years now. The way the road privatisation has been explained to me was only new roads would be tolled but the whole HA network is to be sold/leased so I don't know where that leaves us either we go to private companies with the roads(as per cook review) or as the HA retain "ownership" we carry on as is , or we are killed off, I also see 3/4 of the HA going as roads are run by private companies. I don't see how companies would make any money as our network is small compared to France or the USA. Yes the M6 is a failure but is cost the government no money so they don't care. So with the FOM, cook review and now this no wonder we are short staff ane we are all a little low at the moment.
It is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out Savvy

Guinness Man
Navigator
Navigator

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:08 pm

guest wrote:
Guinness Man wrote:I also think it will be the norm for us to be single crewed in the near future as a way of maintaining patrol levels something I am seeing more of with our local police forces.

Why do people on this site follow on what the Police are doing all the time?

The HA is not a Police force and are under different Health and Safety rules.
ie the Police have exemptions!

The HA is just a very badly run government dept with next to no innovation skills
it is being nursed along with consultancies who haven't got a clue.

That is why the PM wants shot of you.
I am making a personal statement about what I see us doing in the future and what I have observed with the local police forces as they have adjusted to the size of the purse they now have to spend. Can you enlighten me on how health and safety differs for us and the police? Also you mention exemptions They dont have that many! personally I see us (HA and Police) as being on the same side and if I see something they do that works well then I think we should follow suit within our remit. Our procedures are based on what has been done by the police and I would be suprised if it wasn't.

Race Track
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:26 pm

Point to note: there is no official recruitment freeze. If departments can justify it, you can check the surplus list (within your department), then the CS surplus list (inter dept) and then recruit. I have heard of two RCCs starting the ball rolling for vacancy filling. Everytime a surplus list is declared (last time was roughly 2004/5) these rules always come into place (checking the surplus sittings 1st). I can't see road pricing/tolling coming into place. New liebour looked at this and relised it was a portfolio killer hence why all the plans for slip road ANPR were dropped - yes there were plans! Asking motorists to pay per journey is something quite dear to people's hearts. Whilst the RFL isnt perfect, it does a job. Asking someone to drive 30 miles to find a job when jobs are scarce, them asking to pay more is criminal. Certain areas of the country (Birmingham, Manchester etc) people are funnelled onto motorways because it's the only decent way to actually get to work. Other attractions have been built near to motorway, and industrial applications too. Those will see either a drop in visitors or use which questions there viability. Again in these difficult times that isnt welcome and you'd be surprised how much sway industry has.

Then again, this is all about new roads which doesn't matter as there isn't much room to place the, without CPOs being slapped al over the show. Oh, and actually vehicle traffic. Someone should pick 5 key areas and ask under an FOI how much traffic flow has changed over current, 12 months, 24 months ago...

tgb

Tue May 29, 2012 3:14 pm

If HATOs worked 30 mins less a day and stayed until the end of their shift the HA would get another 3 weeks work out of its available staff. Thats around 2 extra TOs per year per outstation

The DRA King
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tue May 29, 2012 4:18 pm

Wtf, what inspired the last post, a little random.................... :sldoh:
If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of mortgage payments.

Race Track
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Tue May 29, 2012 4:49 pm

That doesn't even add up??

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic