Thinking of making the move...

Only start topics in this area if you are applying for a Highways Agency post. If not please use a different area!
barras99
Rookie Member

Thinking of making the move...

Post by barras99 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 pm

I'm a Police Officer thinking of making the move over. Are there are ex-Police out there that have made this move?
In particular, the Team Manager seems an intereting role. The advert mentions the starting salary, but is it the first point of a pay scale or is that the whole story?
I believe the role Operational Manager is above the Team Manager post. Can anyone spread any light on that role, salary etc.

I have my own reasons for leaving the Police, mostly its changed beyond all recognition and I don't get any kind of satisfaction from it any more. So rather than sit and complain about it, I'm searching out other position alternatives.

Thanks

Bob Parr
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Re: Thinking of making the move...

Post by Bob Parr » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:44 pm

Hiya and welcome to the site, there are several ex BiB including myself ex PCSO.

I had a colleague who retired after 30 years and started with me he was an AI PC he loves it that he has no stress and just patrols and deals with incidents with no paperwork

As far as pay goes the salary does rise just not very much

barras99
Rookie Member

Post by barras99 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:34 pm

Is there anywhere on the web I can see the payscales for the posts of Traffic Officer, Team Manager and Operational Manager?
Also, overtime is mentioned. Is it generally for stopping on shift longer than expected? or for working days off due to short staffing?

Bob Parr
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Bob Parr » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:47 pm

There is more information here http://www.highways.gov.uk/jobs/14707.aspx

As for overtime it's both we also get it for adverse weather ie high winds as we have a couple of high level bridges on my part

Nighthawk
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Demi-Undead'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Nighthawk » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:10 pm

Overtime! What that?
Yea Though I Drive Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Fear No Evil....... (Junc 16 - 17)

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by slabber » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:03 pm

I've had my fair share of it. :slgo:

Wrist Assessment
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Wrist Assessment » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:35 pm

slabber wrote:I've had my fair share of it. :slgo:
So have I and I've come periously close to working with Slabbie - no wonder we get paid extra :slw:
Life is one big DRA

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by slabber » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:29 pm

Wrist Assessment wrote:
So have I and I've come periously close to working with Slabbie - no wonder we get paid extra :slw:
What do you mean close? Have you forgot the shift you worked with me? :slsa:

Wrist Assessment
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Wrist Assessment » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:01 pm

slabber wrote:
Wrist Assessment wrote:
What do you mean close? Have you forgot the shift you worked with me? :slsa:
Like all bad things, my mind has shut it out!!! :slbi:
Life is one big DRA

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by slabber » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:23 pm

Wrist Assessment wrote:Like all bad things, my mind has shut it out!!! :slbi:

I think you'll find that's the onset of alziemers old bean!! :slgo:

pongolad
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Half-Troll'
Alignment: 'Illithid'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by pongolad » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:47 pm

barras99 wrote:I'm a Police Officer thinking of making the move over. Are there are ex-Police out there that have made this move?
In particular, the Team Manager seems an intereting role. The advert mentions the starting salary, but is it the first point of a pay scale or is that the whole story?
I believe the role Operational Manager is above the Team Manager post. Can anyone spread any light on that role, salary etc.

I have my own reasons for leaving the Police, mostly its changed beyond all recognition and I don't get any kind of satisfaction from it any more. So rather than sit and complain about it, I'm searching out other position alternatives.

Thanks
Hi and welcome barras99.
There's a few ex-bib out there, I did my training with two (though one eventually got hounded out :slr: :slno: ) and have worked with a couple of others. Worked many shifts with an ex Inspector, sound guy with masses of experience - unfortunately I don't think he posts on here 'cos he could give you the low down on TM etc.

If you decide to make the jump, good luck :slgo:

Capt. Jack Sparrow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Capt. Jack Sparrow » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:06 am

I am ex plod of 6 years and was already out when i got this job have to say best job ever had in my opinion dont bother with T/M post only benifit is extra money. job in mostly needless paperwork and no time on road. your experience would be better used on-road.

can be little tough leaving behind police brain but you can still put it to good cos criminal see us as no threat and will talk and talk until police arrive and nick them

my only reservation would be are you leaving a secure job for one that does not know if it will exsist in a few years

when it comes to O/T most of it is claimed needlesly as you always have a crew coming on shift to relieve you

in my 5 years i have claimed no more that 15 hours O/T and that dosn't mean i dont stop at things at end of shift

however there are people at my O/S that claim regulary 50 hors O/T month and no questions asked.

good luck may see you out there one day
It is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out Savvy

barras99
Rookie Member

Post by barras99 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:49 pm

Thanks very much for your input. Anyone any ideas about the Operational managers role?

TheWanderer
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'

Post by TheWanderer » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:18 pm

Barras - Highly unlikely you'd get in with a chance for an OM's job as an external candidate unless you came from a desk jockey civil service role. It really is not "Operational", but "Operations", hence desk based.

The Vicar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by The Vicar » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:43 pm

TheWanderer wrote:Barras - Highly unlikely you'd get in with a chance for an OM's job as an external candidate unless you came from a desk jockey civil service role. It really is not "Operational", but "Operations", hence desk based.
Your way off the mark there mate we have an OM in our region who managed a car park at Manchester Airport :x before
he was awarded an OMship. he does have a degree though as he regularly informs his under performing TMs and TOs :sldoh: A compleat and utter disgrace :slnak:
Traffic Officers Love Hard Shoulders and smooth thighs

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic