Waiting List Advice

Only start topics in this area if you are applying for a Highways Agency post. If not please use a different area!
PJUK79

Waiting List Advice

Tue May 25, 2010 12:34 pm

Hi everyone,

Ive got a feeling this isnt the first time that this question has been asked!.. but Im after a bit of advice please..

I completed the assessment day back in November and received my 'on the list' letter... but nothing since then,

Ive read a few posts where people have called the recruitment agency (tribal) to see whats going on but each time Ive called Ive just been told that they cant tell me where I am on the list & its just wait and see. As it stands, Im looking to move on from my current job and would like nothing more than a chat with someone there to explain my situation, but it doesnt seem possible

Im really stuck as to what to do, I dont want to go through the pain of finding a new job to get a call in a month to say 'we'd like you to start'

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Paul.

grumpy
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: Waiting List Advice

Tue May 25, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi, and welcome!

Unfortunately there isnt much you can do, other than keep ringing, ringing and ringing. They wont tell you where you are on the list, but at least they may be able to tell you if a position is coming up (they cant tell you if you are in line for that job, either).

Im sorry its not a more positive response, but its the way the system works (which most don't agree with either). Ive been in the same situation, and just when all hope seemed lost, a job came up, so never say never! Keep being positive and keep badgering them, it may just help!
No matter how good she looks.... Somebody, somewhere is fed up of her $hit....!!!

PJUK79

Tue May 25, 2010 5:17 pm

Hi, thanks for your help.. I didnt think there would be a way around it, but hey worth a shot.

.... I wonder if there might be a friendly and helpful person who works on the recruitment team reading this & may take pity on me?!?

.. worth a try!

Race Track
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Tue May 25, 2010 7:13 pm

I fear it's worse now mate. There's a recruitment ban in force civil service wide. I can't see any exceptions being made in the TO service.

markymark
Registered Member
Registered Member
Class: 'Ranger Varient'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Tue May 25, 2010 8:05 pm

Race Track wrote:I fear it's worse now mate. There's a recruitment ban in force civil service wide. I can't see any exceptions being made in the TO service.
RT, i contacted HR in the last few days and asked if the new government/ civil service recruitment ban had any impact on my application ( I am on the waiting list) , i was advised that i was already in the recruitment process whilst on the list and wouldnt be affected, the recruitment freeze would only have an impact on future recruitment camapaigns...

I hope the information i was given is correct :slsix:

On another note, they are still recruiting on the Dft website and also the civil service website..

marky
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.

Race Track
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Thu May 27, 2010 5:04 pm

I don't think it is fully correct, nor do i think all the details have been briefed yet. I am hearing more and more (not just from the HA) that no recruitment will take place. At all. People on "lists" will stay on lists, but they won't be taking people off them.

Sponge
Official Member
Official Member

Fri May 28, 2010 7:54 am

I've read '...that all external recruitment exercises (both those from outside Government and inter-departmentally) will not proceed. Any cases for exceptions will need to be referred... The principles under which exceptions are made will take account of the potential impact on public safety and security issues as well as service delivery, specifically where these are fee earning roles, eg driving examiners, whilst ensuring that DfT headcount overall is being reduced.'

I've also read that business critical posts viewed as exceptional will be outside the freeze.

Is the TOS not a critical role involving the safety of the public?

Furthermore, 'The recruitment freeze does not apply to internal moves on level transfer within DfT(C) or moves from one part of the DfT family to another (eg from agency to agency or from agency to DfT(C).'

Sponge
Official Member
Official Member

Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:19 pm

We pretty much know this already, but today I received this unsolicited email:
Dear Candidate ,

You may have heard in the media that the Government has issued a "recruitment freeze" across the Civil Service for the rest of 2010-11. The purpose of this email is to inform you of how this will affect you.

The recruitment freeze affects the Highways Agency and the Traffic Officer Service. You will continue to remain on our waiting list for the length of time stated in your letter. No new offers of employment are expected to be made during the recruitment freeze.

I understand this may be disappointing news however I do hope this communication will help manage your expectations.

Regards,

Traffic Recruitment Team
The TOS is obviously not the critical, public safety service we all thought it was. :slrant:

:n91:
Last edited by Sponge on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wrist Assessment
Committee Member
Committee Member

Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:49 pm

Sponge wrote:The TOS is obviously not the critical, public safety service we all thought it was.
I'd have to disagree there, but I understand your disappointment. These are trying times for any public service - our local police force, Cumbria, have announced yet another several million pounds of cuts on what's already a small budget for a small force. We're in the same boat as leavers are not going to be replaced any time soon and I can see single crewing coming in sooner, rather than later to take up the slack.

The recruitment freeze can't last forever so keep hanging in there and good luck for the future. :slgo:
Life is one big DRA

Sponge
Official Member
Official Member

Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:48 pm

I was being sarcastic when I said that. It just infuriates me when, through no fault of our own, front line services get shafted and as a result we and the public suffer. And it makes me so mad when at the same time the people at the top carry on as normal, indeed, get praised for, making 'the hard decisions', yet they always seem to get through un-scathed. :slr:

Sponge
Official Member
Official Member

Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:52 am

Any body else get the email? Good news, I suppose.

'...decision has been made to extend the waiting list until 30 June 2011...'

markymark
Registered Member
Registered Member
Class: 'Ranger Varient'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Sponge wrote:Any body else get the email? Good news, I suppose.

'...decision has been made to extend the waiting list until 30 June 2011...'

i had the email too.... lets hope that there is a mass recruitment in may 2011..
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.

Sponge
Official Member
Official Member

Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:20 am

I've not been around for a while, but thought I'd pop back to see if there were any updates on recruitment. Nothing, I see. :slsad:

kipper
Elite Member
Elite Member

Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:53 pm

There`s a 2yr minimum recruitment freeze throughout the service Sponge ,, sorry mate.

Keep looking though, who knows what will happen if the Government + climate changes .

The One who smiles when it goes wrong, has thought of someone to piss on .

CraigDavid
Executive Member
Executive Member

Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:57 pm

With single crewing on the horizon we'll be well staffed unless we take on more responsibilities (see numerous wasted fingerprints in old forums on this one) but as with all things HA we'll probably scrap it like everthing else we start and fail to finish.

My advice is to keep ringing about twice a month just to keep them aware. They can recruit if its deemed that we need some more staff. The freeze isn't a definate.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic