Are our hours/rotas family friendly?

You may select 1 option

View results

Yogi
Committee Member
Committee Member

Family friendly hours?

Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:58 pm

It's been suggested in other topics that the TO service hours of work are not family friendly.

I have 3 kids - 2, 5 and 7 - and I actually find the hours to be very friendly.

How does everyone else feel about it?

Yogi
"Find a job that you love, and you'll not do a day's work again.."

cone dropper
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Lightning'

Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:03 pm

with you all the way yogi, I now have the chance to take my son to school some days (lates) collect him from school (earlies), be with him at half term and the holidays during weekdays on rests.

Works for our family :D
Remember your a womble!
Tidying the network 24/7, of things people leave behind.

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:57 pm

cone dropper wrote:with you all the way yogi, I now have the chance to take my son to school some days (lates) collect him from school (earlies), be with him at half term and the holidays during weekdays on rests.

Works for our family :D
I'm the same, my son's 9, I find it perfect taking him to school when I'm on lates, although I struggle to pick him up if I get away from the outstation after 2.20

mops1
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Cloistered Cleric'
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:29 pm

Our Hato shifts are pretty good although the 6 on 4 off would be better.I get to see my children more then when I was a PC and I pretty much can start to plan a little bit of a family/social life so gets thumbs up from me.

On the down side no rest day less then 8 and doube bubble but hey I've got my fingers crossed - well when i say crossed I mean superglued together !!

Yogi
Committee Member
Committee Member

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:11 pm

For all their sins, night shifts are actually pretty useful to me as well. Home about 7am, just in time to have a cuppa (maybe even a half hour snooze if I'm lucky) before getting the kids up and to school - home to kip at about 9, get to see the kids in the morning, missus gets a lie in, everyone's a winner :P

£70 or whatever it is a month for the night shifts might be a bit iffy, but for me the other benefits make 24/7 worthwhile.

Yogi
"Find a job that you love, and you'll not do a day's work again.."

TheWanderer
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:57 pm

I think we may have a problem with this poll as different regions are working different shift patterns and it's going to be hard to get an accurate representation.

I don't mind my shifts, however many of my colleagues have partners who work 9-5 Mon-Fri so never get to see them. I'm in favour of a 1000-1800 dayshift added to the system to provide an extra car but whoops, we don't have enough spare vehicles!

Haywain
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Chain Master'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:59 pm

Might need some extra bodies too if people want to go on holiday :!: :lol:
Regards

Haywain

Meetings didn't make the Roman empire great, they just killed anyone who opposed them!

Nighthawk
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Demi-Undead'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:39 pm

What's a holiday :?:
Yea Though I Drive Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Fear No Evil....... (Junc 16 - 17)

Northern Lad
Executive Member
Executive Member

Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:00 pm

It may have its advantages for TO's with young families, but for me as an empty nester it doesn't work.

My partner works normal Mon - Fri hours and we struggle to find decent time together, eg:

on late shift, we see each other for 3 minutes at 10.45pm
on early shift I'm shattered by 8.00pm and in bed by 9 - 9.30pm
Surprisingly, we see each other most when I'm on nights.

1 weekend off a month means that my partner wants us to spend it together which means that my main hobby, which mostly happens at weekends, is a thing of the past unless I want to upset the marital bliss big style.

Problem is, I love the job :)
Northern Lad
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

Alpha Bravo Guy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Elder Bard'

Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:47 pm

NL you need a new job or a new wife :D

Only joking mate. :wink:
I know what you mean my social life has taken a big hit with this job.
Please don't steal - the Government doesn't like competition!

pongolad
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Half-Troll'
Alignment: 'Illithid'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:24 pm

Guys, you have social lives :shock: :?

Obviously not working enough hours :roll: Heard a rumour that new shift system will be 8 days on, 8 hours off to justify the price of a first class stamp ( I mean pay rise :oops: )

jezza
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'

Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:09 pm

pongolad wrote:Guys, you have social lives :shock: :?

Obviously not working enough hours :roll: Heard a rumour that new shift system will be 8 days on, 8 minutes off to justify the price of a first class stamp ( I mean pay rise :oops: )
Fixed :wink:

Jezza
Just say NO to user bars!!!!!

Melnobone
Official Member
Official Member

Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:12 pm

What about working part time? Does anyone know any part time TO's or operators? Its an ideal job to do on a part time basis. However we don't want that as it would lead to more women. That would upset the HA as women generally are not prepared to put up with as much shi&*%t as men.
Personally the shifts have ruined my social life completely.It also prevents me from doing any outside education .
So in a few years time my skills will consist of Driving around in circles and coning...wow!Surely to god there could be some flexibility so you could have the same day off everyweek.Hmmm knowing our Upper management that would be a bit too difficult for them bless em :roll:
I could live with this but when you find out that the shift allowance covers working weekends and bank holidays for normal pay it is rather irksome. Particularly when not mentioned prior to starting. Oh yes I am looking to get out before anyone says anything.God and a strong wind willing!!!!!

TheWanderer
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:01 pm

Melnobone wrote:What about working part time? Does anyone know any part time TO's or operators? Its an ideal job to do on a part time basis.
Personally the shifts have ruined my social life completely.It also prevents me from doing any outside education .
Certainly don't know of any part time TOs but know of a couple who've tried to go P/T and been refused. Be interesting to see what would happen if 2x TOs or RCC ops wanted to go "jobshare"

Jock Abroad
Committee Member
Committee Member

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:27 pm

There is at least one P/T on roader in my region, dont actually know him, just saw it on rosta.

Shifts work well for my family, but my missus is a dedicated Mum at the mo. If she needed to work then I think any shift working job could be difficult. As for social lives being affected, well, that's shift work for you yet again. My days of going out on the piss in an evening Fri/Sat and Sun are temporarily a distant memory so I dont mind shifts. I enjoy mid week days off, the mountains are quieter.

I had worked shifts prior to applying for this job, so was fortunate to know the score. Like Northern Lad, I like the job too and even with all it's cons, there are enough pro's to keep me in. :)
Speed is not a cause, it is a contributory factor. It's incompetent driving that kills!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic