TRA TMs

for "operational issues"

Moderator: R C C

H8TO
Official Member
Official Member

TRA supas

Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:58 am

can you believe that the new TRA list supas that are still ordinary TO`S are wearing red epaulettes how sad that ordinary TO`S have to show thier fellow workers that they are somewhat superior to themselves just to get the runners and riders out on patrol
i get sent to it , i deal with it, and when it hits the fan, i place my head between my knees and kiss my ar** goodbye. Image

Yogi
Committee Member
Committee Member

Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:19 am

Give 'em a chance - you may well find that TRAs are being told to wear the reds, rather than choosing to wear them, and I'm told it's for TRAs that are likely to be acting up for 4 weeks or more, so the guys that do odd days/weeks here and there wont get them issued.

Besides, if someone is in the team manager role, temporarily or otherwise, shouldn't they look like one?

Your colleagues acting up to a TRA role need your support, not your moody comments.. :(

Yogi
"Find a job that you love, and you'll not do a day's work again.."

the monk
Executive Member
Executive Member

Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:52 am

Is this a regional idea ?
If not , then why not ?
I need it now!
I must back stab and lick my way to the door, starting now!
remember girls, you cannot be promoted without doing the assessment centre.

Open and fair competition is the way ahead
Peace be with you
actually, I do own the road!
archies snitch

Haywain
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Chain Master'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:56 pm

Think I have I seen something about this recently, may have been in the last uniform user group minutes, unfortunately, the english was so poor I struggled to understand what they were trying to say and put it on the back burner until something regional came out.

Some long term TRAs have worn appropriate epaulettes for a while now and it is only following what is a common practice in other uniformed services.
Regards

Haywain

Meetings didn't make the Roman empire great, they just killed anyone who opposed them!

Grim_Reaper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:20 pm

A colleague of mine had the unfortunate experience of being on patrol recently, where a TO, from a different team, who is normally a decent laugh, was TRA.
My colleague told me that he, cannot for the world understand why, just because he had a TM call sign, he changed into a complete mor0n.
He seemed to think because he was acting TM for the shift that he had his pants on over his trousers, a cape and that everyone else had, overnight, forgotten everything they had ever been trained and had just started that same day!
From ringing them in the car, telling them to do stuff they always do anyway, to point to pointing one of them while they were putting out a lane 2 and 3 closure! If that TO who was TRA that shift is on here reading this, What do you think you were doing? Trying to justify it by saying the RCC wanted an update is complete boll0cks, they had told the RCC less than 30 seconds previously that they were putting on a lane 2 and 3 closure. Don`t try and cover your ar$e with a lie! the very same TRA then phoned 6 times in 5 minutes while they had the incident under control. Why???? Please, to all TO`s with aspirations to be TMs, just because you may be given temporary responsibility, please please, don`t think everyone else has suddenly become useless. If you do, it`s a dead certain giveaway that, you`re not ready or suitable to be a proper TM at that time. Take it from me, I have management experience....lots of it.
The reason I have posted this is in the hope that maybe someone may look at it and realise it applies to them. Hopefully they`ll then think about what they are doing, next time they are given responsibility.
Now, standing back and waiting for the flak to come my way...
Oh, and yes, I`ve gone off the track with the thread, I apologise.
Fighting for peace is like Sh*gging for virginity!...

conedoff
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:06 pm

similar going on in an OS not far from me and that boy thinks its his job to bollock the shift. he has the managerial skills of the man tied to the post in front of the firing squad.

Shame but humour has worn out and someone is going to shout fire very soon !! :oops:

Northern Lad
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:09 am

This TRA business seems to have created more jealousy, resentment and pure hostility than anything else that has happened since we started.

If an acting TM is being a pr*ck, TELL HIM (or her). We're all grown ups!

If he/she is doing the job, give them the respect and support they deserve.
Northern Lad
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

Nighthawk
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Demi-Undead'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:36 pm

I normally do...
Yea Though I Drive Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Fear No Evil....... (Junc 16 - 17)

saltpepper
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:41 pm

Unfortunatly though some TRA's have allowed it to go thier heads and have upset other team members and then when they take them back off they expect to brush it under the carpet. Not good for working relationships i can assure you.

mops1
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Cloistered Cleric'
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:47 pm

I'm sad to say that a couple of months ago I was crewed with a TO who had been tra for months and months, we attended a rtc and I had to treat him like a new starter as he did not have a clue where he was let alone what he was doing. We had words after the incident and he bucked up for the rest of the shift but another example of spending months at the outstation with your feet on the table !!

Grim_Reaper
Committee Member
Committee Member

Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:10 pm

I take your point Northern Lad, but if anyone said anything to that particular TRA, he would run to his mate, the TM and I have no doubt, it would be the TO who raised it who would suffer, and the whole thing would be brushed under the carpet. Sad, but true.
Fighting for peace is like Sh*gging for virginity!...

H8TO
Official Member
Official Member

TRA

Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:36 pm

you know in the police they have acting sergeants and if they fail the sergeants exam they cant act up anymore because an acting sargeant in a certain force fecked up big time and at an inquest was shot to pieces by the coroner so the force stopped it. it did not stop them takeing the exam just stopped the acting up. ring any bells as for the TO service, ALL failed supas should be stopped from TRA and let new blood in to carry on the promotion pole.
i get sent to it , i deal with it, and when it hits the fan, i place my head between my knees and kiss my ar** goodbye. Image

jezza
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'

Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:49 pm

Always believed in the matra "Be nice to people on the way up, you never know when you'll meet them on the way down..."

On a semi related note, have any people who failed the assessment centre's been allowed to carry on as TRA on the basis that they aren't judged 'good' enough to meet the HA's assessment criteria but it's convenient to keep them 'on-side' by throwing them a bone every now and then?

If so, how many are we talking about? And what are the potential consequences for the HA if we were to encounter a similar scenario to the one mentioned earlier by H8TO?
Just say NO to user bars!!!!!

V_max
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Berserker'

Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:05 am

jezza wrote:On a semi related note, have any people who failed the assessment centre's been allowed to carry on as TRA....
Yes. Several.

snafu
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:52 am

Here is MHO.

TRA's that are acting up longer than certain period of time (not sure on the time but Yogi is prob correct) are instructed to wear and issued with red epps.You can't blame them for that. As Haywain says this is common practice in a uniformed service. :idea:

As someone who in a previous life acted up, I remember it is not an easy position. There are those who will go overboard because of the power trip. Some will be to weak. Are they not ready or just feeling their way into a new role. :idea:

Remember you don't know what they have been briefed. GR states that to complain would lead to the TRA going to his mate TM so he would lose. I would suggest that this says a lot about the managerial skills of the substantive TM and also where the TRA is getting a lead from. :idea:

In the police, as I believe it stands at the moment, you cannot be an acting sgt unless you have passed the sgts exam. This is not the case in the HA or the civil service. :idea:

If you do not pass the assessment centre you cannot be "promoted" to substantive TM ( on that round). However this does not preclude someone who did not pass from being a TRA. :idea:

For example.

If no one from a particular outstation passed does that mean no one can act up. Clearly this is not feasible. TM's are allowed holidays too and this cannot be totally covered by other TM's doing OT. Also how can TRA's who did not pass improve their skills.

And since when did we believe that the best candidates were chosen. I'm sure there has been some discussion on this :!:
Life, don't talk to me about life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic