for "operational issues"

Moderator: R C C

Race Track
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

New Vehicles for 2011

Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:00 pm

So,

I hear we are finally getting some new vehicles. These are same as what we have now as an interim until someone makes up their mind what our job is. I hear there is already one Disco4 knocking around with different kit on it. Anyone seen it/any comments?

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: New Vehicles for 2011

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:59 am

Our oldest Land Cruiser is about to be changed for a Disco4. Pound to pinch of brown smelly stuff, it'll be earmarked as a TM vehicle and wont see a TOs backside unless they get lumbered for a TM patrol. :slrol:

Guinness Man
Navigator
Navigator

Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:52 am

slabber wrote:Our oldest Land Cruiser is about to be changed for a Disco4. Pound to pinch of brown smelly stuff, it'll be earmarked as a TM vehicle and wont see a TOs backside unless they get lumbered for a TM patrol. :slrol:
I guess RHIP applies with some of ledders.
People are like tea bags you have to put them in hot water to find out how strong they are.

Guinness Man
Navigator
Navigator

Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:05 am

The company that does the work for the Land Rovers in Essex has recently completed 30 Disco 4's for us and there should be 15 Shoguns and 15 Landcruisers somewhere as well. We have a couple of the ex training school vehicles and a couple where swapped with other outstations that had much lower mileage some months ago as our's were heavy on miles and becoming increasingly troublesome. So I guess we wont be getting any of the new vehicles which will cause some folks to think they are unloved.
People are like tea bags you have to put them in hot water to find out how strong they are.

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:32 am

Half a dozen of our vehicles are sitting at 170,000+

Race Track
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:34 am

slabber wrote:Half a dozen of our vehicles are sitting at 170,000+
I remember when ours were there. About 6 months ago! :slre:

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:03 pm

We've been told to cut our mileage right down. From 300+ per shift, we're now doing 100-150 per shift and spending a lot of time "strategically parked" twiddling our bloody thumbs!!! :slr: :slr: :slr:

TangoOscar31
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Psychic Rogue'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:18 pm

What a perfect topic to cheer me up as I'm in a bad mood...

While trafpol have to scale back on their fleets, the Highways Agency continues on with it's 4x4 crusade? :sldoh:

As Slabber points out, some of you have been told to scale back your mileages, presumably due to fuel costs. I'll let you into a secret, how about getting more economical vehicles in the first place?? :slch: :slrol:

I've repeatedly said on here that I just don't see the reasoning behind a full fleet of 4x4's. You aren't allowed to tow vehicles off the network, you aren't given advanced driver training so you'll see little benefit of using them in snow/ice, and it's costing a fortune in running costs so you're having to scale back your patrols. Total madness and unnecessary waste. An utter joke and farce! :slr:

Why not just put all that cost of running the HATO's into trafpol funding? You might as well seeing the level of HATO service appears to be reducing...
slabber wrote:We've been told to cut our mileage right down. From 300+ per shift, we're now doing 100-150 per shift and spending a lot of time "strategically parked" twiddling our bloody thumbs!!! :slr: :slr: :slr:
Hmm, that'll explain why you're never near J45 then? :slno:

I reliably informed that Penrith is the place to catch you lot "twiddling your thumbs"...
:slgo:

grumpy
Committee Member
Committee Member

Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:33 pm

TangoOscar31 wrote:What a perfect topic to cheer me up as I'm in a bad mood...

While trafpol have to scale back on their fleets, the Highways Agency continues on with it's 4x4 crusade? :sldoh:

As Slabber points out, some of you have been told to scale back your mileages, presumably due to fuel costs. I'll let you into a secret, how about getting more economical vehicles in the first place?? :slch: :slrol:

I've repeatedly said on here that I just don't see the reasoning behind a full fleet of 4x4's. You aren't allowed to tow vehicles off the network, you aren't given advanced driver training so you'll see little benefit of using them in snow/ice, and it's costing a fortune in running costs so you're having to scale back your patrols. Total madness and unnecessary waste. An utter joke and farce! :slr:

Why not just put all that cost of running the HATO's into trafpol funding? You might as well seeing the level of HATO service appears to be reducing...
slabber wrote:We've been told to cut our mileage right down. From 300+ per shift, we're now doing 100-150 per shift and spending a lot of time "strategically parked" twiddling our bloody thumbs!!! :slr: :slr: :slr:

I reliably informed that Penrith is the place to catch you lot "twiddling your thumbs"...
The fleet is being looked at, keeping a blend of what we have now and some new, cheaper vehicles. Who wants first dibs on a van?

Saying we can't tow vehicles off the network isn't strictly true, as it depends on the area to some degree. The APTR guys are forever clearing stuff off to the nearest junction, rather than leave it in the road. If you're talking about dragging something from the shelf to the services or junction, even 500m away, then its a different story.
No matter how good she looks.... Somebody, somewhere is fed up of her $hit....!!!

TangoOscar31
Elite Member
Elite Member

Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:12 pm

grumpy wrote:
TangoOscar31 wrote:What a perfect topic to cheer me up as I'm in a bad mood...

The fleet is being looked at, keeping a blend of what we have now and some new, cheaper vehicles. Who wants first dibs on a van?

Saying we can't tow vehicles off the network isn't strictly true, as it depends on the area to some degree. The APTR guys are forever clearing stuff off to the nearest junction, rather than leave it in the road. If you're talking about dragging something from the shelf to the services or junction, even 500m away, then its a different story.
I'm not sure vans are they way to go. Estates or even MPV's possibly?

I've seen a few examples of some on here, with an attitude that vans are beneath them...

I know for a fact, that you don't need a 4x4 to tow another vehicle. I've done it myself using an estate, and that was for more than just a few metres...

You say the fleet is being looked at, well why buy MORE vehicles then? If HA decide to down size then you're left with big expensive thirsty 4x4's for the next 3-4 years?

I'm not against 4x4's, I just don't see the justification when HA are having to cut down mileage due to fuel costs. This is the civil service after all, why am I surprised? :sldoh: :slch:

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:21 pm

SWTRA vans aren't too bad.

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:23 pm

TangoOscar31 wrote:You say the fleet is being looked at, well why buy MORE vehicles then? If HA decide to down size then you're left with big expensive thirsty 4x4's for the next 3-4 years?
Our vehicles are leased on a 2 year contract. The leasing agent will change and equip as and when necessary. :slgo:

TangoOscar31
Elite Member
Elite Member

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm

Cheers Slabber :slgo:

They use Merc Sprinters up on the M8/M74/M77 around the central belt in Scotland. They stay behind EVERY vehicle on the hard shoulder until they are repaired/recovered.

Capt. Jack Sparrow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:40 pm

According to a mail from management my region is getting a plain hi-lux to try out over the next week (imagine it will tour the country).The VW vans have a too long waining list so looking at Merc Vito/Ford Transit, also says they are keen on Kia sorrento (7 year warranty ). All new cars to have Haztec lights and controllers and new VMS. Should see some in next few months.
It is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out Savvy

Race Track
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:41 pm

Not getting Haztec VMS as it's not robust enough and not even good enough to see in the dark apparently!

Our fleet man says the cost of a 4x4 (what we pay) is slightly cheaper than getting a van!!!

Oh, by the way, North Wales TOs are moving to Landrover Discovery 4's. The Toyota's they have (Hi Lux?) are not suitable it seems. The vehicles are in the converters shop as we speak.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic