UK Tanker Strike Threatens Petrol Station Chaos!

for "operational issues"

Moderator: R C C

Nighthawk
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Demi-Undead'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

UK Tanker Strike Threatens Petrol Station Chaos!

Post by Nighthawk » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:36 pm

http://www.channel4.com/news/uk-tanker- ... l-stations

Results of a strike vote by 2,000 fuel tanker drivers are due this afternoon, threatening to bring chaos to air and road traffic across the UK.

British soldiers are lined up to stand in for tanker drivers if strikes are approved, Cabinet Office Minister Francis Maude said. A strike could begin by 3 April.

"Widespread strike action affecting fuel supply at our supermarkets, garages and airports could cause disruption across the country," Mr Maude said.

Referring to the fuel delivery crisis of 12 years ago, Mr Maude said ministers had "learnt the lessons" of the past. Police may also be drafted in to break up blockades under government plans to keep Britain moving.

The dispute over safety standards could shut thousands of petrol stations nationwide. Unite drivers supply fuel to 90 per cent of the UK's forecourts and the union said a strike could close up to 7,900 petrol stations.

Unite members will decide whether to launch the first national campaign of action for more than a decade. Workers are voting in seven major distribution companies - Wincanton, DHL, Hoyer, BP, J.W Suckling, Norbert Dentressangle and Turners.

If the industrial ballot is approved, Unite will hold meetings with local union representatives over the next few days.

Jon Trickett, Labour's shadow minister for the Cabinet Office, said it is essential that a strike is averted.

"The government should get a grip and show that it understands the gravity of current situation," Mr Trickett said. "They should immediately insist that both sides begin negotiations."

Unite stress that the dispute was not about pay, describing the UK fuel distribution industry as "unstable and fragmented".

Tanker drivers work 12 hour shifts, driving a 44 tonne vehicle, holding between 36,000 and 40,000 litres of petroleum product.
Yea Though I Drive Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Fear No Evil....... (Junc 16 - 17)

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: UK Tanker Strike Threatens Petrol Station Chaos!

Post by slabber » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:17 pm

I've already told my TM that if the strike does go ahead, I may not make it in due to the distance I travel. If it goes on longer than a couple of weeks, I'll be well snookered as I fill the tank every 8 days.

pongolad
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Half-Troll'
Alignment: 'Illithid'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by pongolad » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:19 am

Glad to see it's 'not about pay', having read they earn between £35k - £45k :slhuh: With 4 overtime shifts a month I still don't get near that bottom marker :slh:

What a screwed up society we are when we value HGV drivers, Binmen & Z list TV 'celebrities above Health Professionals and Teachers :slno:

Capt. Jack Sparrow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Capt. Jack Sparrow » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:37 am

If I remember correctly the last time this was threatened we ( TO's) were on the list to be able to fill our car up to get to work. It is about money but wrapped up in health and safety. There just heavy drivers and there are plenty more on the dole to fill their jobs hope the government doesn't cave in and puts an injunction on the strike.
It is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out Savvy

Nighthawk
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Nighthawk » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:08 pm

Yeah right! This is how it works... We push to the front of the queue. We then introduce yourselves as a Highways Agency Traffic Officers. Forecourt attendant asks: "Who are you?" Then we all reply.. I'll join the end of the queue! Public still struggle to understand who we are, fat chance the cashier at a filling station will know.
Yea Though I Drive Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Fear No Evil....... (Junc 16 - 17)

Capt. Jack Sparrow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Capt. Jack Sparrow » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:37 pm

Didn't work like that you are told where to go and that station will be open for certain people only and they have a list with a copy of our ID on it and they let you fill up. Any way was told today that this time we are not on the list so if fuel runs out we cant get to work and we are not allowed to be picked up either
It is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out Savvy

Guinness Man
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Guinness Man » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:03 pm

We will not get fuel over anyone else and why would we. Thats how it is in my area if the fuel is not available there wont be anyone on the roads anyway.
People are like tea bags you have to put them in hot water to find out how strong they are.

Race Track
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Race Track » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:49 pm

Capt. Jack Sparrow wrote:Didn't work like that you are told where to go and that station will be open for certain people only and they have a list with a copy of our ID on it and they let you fill up. Any way was told today that this time we are not on the list so if fuel runs out we cant get to work and we are not allowed to be picked up either
Strange, i was told we are still by the man who looks after this? Nice to see someone has the correct version. Not sure who though!

Nighthawk
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Nighthawk » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:11 pm

I asked about this last time, but all I got was a blank look!

Jane Hill fan Club
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jane Hill fan Club » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:39 pm

There is a plan.....we will get fuel if it gets to that stage.....we will not have to queue for fuel.

pongolad
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Half-Troll'
Alignment: 'Illithid'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by pongolad » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:39 pm

Looks like I'll be moving into my Base station to ensure I can do my shifts :slhuh: :slbi:

Shower, recliner seats, 50 inch Tv and full cooking facilities....what more could a fella ask for?? Hope the strike lasts a month :slgo:

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Class: 'Ranger Varient'

Post by falkor » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:32 pm

Police have closed petrol stations in some parts of the UK after drivers rushed to the pumps to fill up over fears of an imminent strike by tanker drivers.

By Donna Bowater, 1:32PM BST 29 Mar 2012
Amid accusations that Government ministers had prompted panic by suggesting drivers stockpile petrol, police and fire services were called out to deal with the fall-out.

Labour leader Ed Miliband accused the Prime Minister of playing party politics with the threat of a strike, and called for an apology.
He said: "The Prime Minister is presiding over a shambles on petrol. In a delicate situation which demanded statesmanship, the Government showed partisanship.

"This is real life and ministers are out of touch with people sitting in queues as a result of their incompetence.

"Now the Prime Minister needs to get a grip and calm the situation."
One forecourt was closed by police in Southbourne, Bournemouth at 11am today after motorists argued over queue-jumping in a half-a-mile tailback of cars waiting to fill up.

Jason Babbe, 33, who was in the line of cars outside the Murco garage, said: "I queued up for an hour before I could fill up.

"While I was waiting I witnessed an argument between a taxi driver and another motorist and there were other rows going on with people taking pictures of each other on their mobile phones.

"As well as filling up their tanks people were filling up cans with petrol."

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by slabber » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:17 pm

My 3 local stations have already run out of diesel, I have enough fuel to get home after shift so it will be fun tomorrow trying to fill up to get back to work!

Asap
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Asap » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:29 pm

slabber wrote:My 3 local stations have already run out of diesel, I have enough fuel to get home after shift so it will be fun tomorrow trying to fill up to get back to work!
Errm why bother :slw:
Laying cones-Delaying people, What's today's imaginary KPI?

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by slabber » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:21 pm

Because I'm a conscientious little womble. :slzi:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic