for "operational issues"

Moderator: R C C

Race Track
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Scene Screens

Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:48 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20851775

Selective bit of press PR there. Didn't say they had been bought a few years ago and not used.

I wonder if they have got over the issue that there isn't going to be any patrols available to tow the bloody things as they will be all involved in managing the traffic/manning closures. Or perhaps deliver the safety training required. Or re-issue the PPE needed. Or the other whole multitude of little issues and niggles.

:sldoh:

Race Track
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Scene Screens

Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:52 pm

snafu
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:45 am

is this the same kit that got mothballed as it was too expensive to operate and maintain?

As you say RT, just who will be available and trained to deploy this stuff once all the closures are on at a major incident? I suppose some poor saps will be expected (if they are suitably trained) to fag 60 miles, collect and then deploy another 60 miles, not having a clue where they are!!

Chances are that by the time it is decided to deploy and all of the above has gone on, CRU and undertaker will have sorted the scene anyway!!
Life, don't talk to me about life.

wolfman
Registered Member
Registered Member

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:06 am

just a thought but ignoring all the previously mentioned hiccups with said screens surely you would need to screen off the road upstream of the incident else anyone going the opposite way to the incident will just be able to see anyway and how then are you supposed to get the screens through the debris that is all now evidence with a truck/van/ towing a trailer can you really see AI letting you through the scene just to put up screens

TM1
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Centaur'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Most serious incidents are all done and dusted within 5 hours. I cant see that the screens could be deployed in time to have any valid effect.
If the job is likely to take longer than 5 hours it is more than likely the road is closed any way.
If the screens can be deployed earlier are they air ambulance proof ?
Don't walk in front of me I may not follow,
Don't walk behind me I may not lead,
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

TM1
Committee Member
Committee Member

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:22 pm

Race Track wrote:And the full bumf behind it

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/clea ... ds-quicker

This is the reason the younger T/O's are doing a towing course.
Lets just hope the course is offered to the older T/O's who do not have any towing experience.

snafu
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:15 am

TM1 wrote:
Lets just hope the course is offered to the older T/O's who do not have any towing experience.
I am led to believe that, the fact that just because someone has a particular licence category does not mean they are competent, has been pointed out to the powers that be :slzi:
Life, don't talk to me about life.

Race Track
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:48 am

The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998
Training9.—(1) Every employer shall ensure that all persons who use work equipment have received adequate training for purposes of health and safety, including training in the methods which may be adopted when using the work equipment, any risks which such use may entail and precautions to be taken.

(2) Every employer shall ensure that any of his employees who supervises or manages the use of work equipment has received adequate training for purposes of health and safety, including training in the methods which may be adopted when using the work equipment, any risks which such use may entail and precautions to be taken.

Jane Hill fan Club
Executive Member
Executive Member

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:40 am

snafu wrote:
TM1 wrote:
I am led to believe that, the fact that just because someone has a particular licence category does not mean they are competent, has been pointed out to the powers that be :slzi:
Lets face it some of our colleagues could not drive a stick up a pigs ar5e.....what hope have we then for them to take a large twin axle trailer along the hard shoulder for any distance?

Asap
Elite Member
Elite Member

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:24 pm

My we all are being very negative aren't we :lol:
Laying cones-Delaying people, What's today's imaginary KPI?

Guinness Man
Navigator
Navigator

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:33 pm

Jane Hill fan Club wrote:
snafu wrote:
TM1 wrote:
Lets face it some of our colleagues could not drive a stick up a pigs ar5e.....what hope have we then for them to take a large twin axle trailer along the hard shoulder for any distance?
Or through traffic as quite a lot of our area has no shoulder.
People are like tea bags you have to put them in hot water to find out how strong they are.

TangoOscar31
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Psychic Rogue'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:01 pm

Jane Hill fan Club wrote:
snafu wrote:
TM1 wrote:
That's the spirit! :D

TM1
Committee Member
Committee Member

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:14 am

Race Track wrote:The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998
Training9.—(1) Every employer shall ensure that all persons who use work equipment have received adequate training for purposes of health and safety, including training in the methods which may be adopted when using the work equipment, any risks which such use may entail and precautions to be taken.

(2) Every employer shall ensure that any of his employees who supervises or manages the use of work equipment has received adequate training for purposes of health and safety, including training in the methods which may be adopted when using the work equipment, any risks which such use may entail and precautions to be taken.

Lets be honest when was the last time you were offered any formal training. Changes to procedures are briefed out at the start of the shift, we are not given the opportunity to practice the change until we are in a live lane situation." SAFETY CRITICAL ROLE" my 4rse!

Race Track
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:13 pm

Formal training? Last month I was offered some

Guinness Man
Navigator
Navigator

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:38 pm

And what would that be?
People are like tea bags you have to put them in hot water to find out how strong they are.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic