Shocking figures reveal assaults on paramedics

for OFF DUTY and leisure topics: so chat about whatever you like except issues that should go into areas above this

Moderator: R C C

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Class: 'Ranger Varient'

Shocking figures reveal assaults on paramedics

Post by falkor » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:07 pm

Monday 23rd November 2009

By Alexandra Womack
PARAMEDICS are twice as likely to be assaulted by patients than they were last year, shocking new figures reveal.

The number of attacks on staff at the Great Western Ambulance Service has almost doubled to 44 between April 2008 and March 2009, compared to 23 in the previous year.

One clinician, who does not wish to be named, was attacked in a patient’s home. He said the incident had left him worried about the risk of further attacks.

"I always considered I had a pretty good radar for picking up when this sort of situation was developing," he said. "In nine years of pre-hospital care prior to this, I had not been subjected to physical assault.

"This incident brought home how, on the face of it, the person was extremely unlikely to become violent – but it shows it is not always your drunken, Saturday night individual who is liable to behave like this.

"Following the attack, I am more conscious of the dangers when I attend 999 calls as a solo responder. I have lost faith in my ability to judge situations and be aware of when they might suddenly become more difficult."

The assailant, a regular user of the 999 service, was sentenced to six months in prison and had previous convictions for assaulting emergency services staff.

David Whiting, GWAS chief executive, said: "It is totally unacceptable for our staff to be subjected to assault – physical or verbal – in the course of their life-saving work. While 44 physical assaults, out of more than 233,000 emergency responses our staff attended last year, may be fairly low, it is still 44 too many.

"The experience of our paramedic who has spoken out shows that it is not just the physical attack that is damaging – it has an ongoing effect on him, his colleagues and family and his confidence in continuing to provide the best care for his patients.

"I am determined that anyone who does attack any member of my staff is subject to the full force of the law."

HotelEcho1971
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Re: Shocking figures reveal assaults on paramedics

Post by HotelEcho1971 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:12 pm

I'd just like to comment on this subject.

I'm a volunteer Community First Responder and regally attend 999 calls for the ambulance service in my area on my own with little information as to what I'm going to, other than it's "such and such a call", and your back up is up to 20 - 30 minutes away.

I have on occasion with-drawn when I felt threatened or been threatened by a patents family or friends hanging around the area. I have also been shoved and pushed around for "not doing enough to help".
Every time this happens, I have to report this to the ambulance control room who in turn notify the local police force, and who make contact with me asking if there is any complaint I wish to follow up on...I have provided numerous statements to the police regarding 'common assault' and 'ABH'. Bless fully I have not been seriously injured as yet...

It's a sad state of affairs that our society has become ruled by people whos only idea of negotiation is violence. In the course of my volunteering, I do meet all walks of life, from those who "don't really want to make a fuss" to others who really should have been given a smack when they were younger, I'm not advocating violence by the way,...I have accepted that whilst carrying out what I do there is the remote possibility I will be assaulted, however I am never going to let it go and will report all incidents to the correct people.

I'm not excusing the public in any way, it's just sad that some people think assaulting someone trying to help them or a loved one is going to get things done quicker or more efficiently, or for that matter endear them to wanting to help. I can assure you it does not make me want to go back and help again, and this I carry over to my HATO work. If I'm pushed around, shouted at etc, etc I will simply walk away and do not offer any more of my time or assistance, my opinion of this is; I don't get paid enough to be assaulted whilst on duty and as a volunteer I don't even get paid, so I'm not going to accept this sort of behaviour personally.
The real leader has no need to lead--
he is content to point the way.
Henry Miller

Nighthawk
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Demi-Undead'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Nighthawk » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:03 pm

HotelEcho 1971.. Well said, and I agree with what you have said.
I've only done part time work and had to back off as I have feared for my own safety, rather than treat a casualty on more than a few occasions. Got little help from the police. Usual questions:
Q1) Where are they?
A) They legged it when they heard you coming.

Q2) Do you know them?
A) No!

Q3) Did they assault you?
A) No, just made threats of violence, so I backed off and asked for help.

Q4) There's no assault, so what would you like us to do, we're very busy?
A) If you can spare the time, hang around whilst I do my job!

More than a few times thay didn't hang around and I got pelted with garbage on my way out!

The NHS bosses don't give a damn. The Police force I speak of will remain nameless, but they are usless (still), the government don't give two hoots... The only interested parties was the media as these stories sell new papers!
Yea Though I Drive Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Fear No Evil....... (Junc 16 - 17)

HotelEcho1971
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by HotelEcho1971 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:08 pm

Nighthawk,

Couldn't have put it better myself. I appreciate the police forces are inundated with numerous calls and reports of incidents and struggle to find the time to help, I have been blessed to have had assistance when I've needed it on immediate, to which I am eternally grateful.

Only really needed it twice, and on both occasions it was the relatives of the patent that needed calming down...I have seen one father, detained because I was treating his child "with disrespec, innit"...yawn. Thankfully these are few and far between.

I would love to see a change in society where those who are called to assist, are respected and allowed to get on with their jobs without the fear of being assaulted or having items thrown at us.
I always try to remind people they called US for help, we didn't volunteer to come along out of the goodness of our hearts...yes we are 'public servants' but don't we all deserve respect?

Treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself I say, or is that too old fashioned?
The real leader has no need to lead--
he is content to point the way.
Henry Miller

Nighthawk
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Demi-Undead'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Nighthawk » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:04 pm

Change will come, but I doubt it will be in my life time.
Yea Though I Drive Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Fear No Evil....... (Junc 16 - 17)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic