is this T shirt illegal?

for OFF DUTY and leisure topics: so chat about whatever you like except issues that should go into areas above this

Moderator: R C C

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Class: 'Ranger Varient'

is this T shirt illegal?

Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:42 am

Andrew B wrote:PCSOs/PCs of our great land..

How would you react to someone walking down your local street in this t shirt?

Obviously I'm aware inside out of how the POA works, im just curious to know your opinions..and yes im thinking of buying it for one of my gigs :slhd:
if you walked down the road in that ......... would it be against the law?

Vostapo
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: is this T shirt illegal?

Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:19 am

In my view it's a clear S5 offence, especially if the 'local street' happened to be the one passing my local school at lunchtime rather than the one running through the town centre on a busy Saturday night.
Last edited by Vostapo on Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HotelEcho1971
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:15 pm

I would suggest this is all subjective. Yes I agree it could be a S5 offence to some but not to others who may find it amusing...I do think however it would be unwise to walk down a street wearing it in plan view...I'm sure some would have their say.
The real leader has no need to lead--
he is content to point the way.
Henry Miller

Nighthawk
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Demi-Undead'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:53 pm

Especially if the person wearing it looked like a beast.. Then again, the BiB's don't enforce the laws of nature.
Yea Though I Drive Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Fear No Evil....... (Junc 16 - 17)

TheWanderer
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'

Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:15 pm

Nighthawk wrote:Especially if the person wearing it looked like a beast..
Falk - With that in mind, I might consider getting one as a christmas pressie for the Hippacrocapig I work with. That walking down the street with it would be scary.

I know locally, a shop owner was prosecuted under S5 POA at the inception of the mobile phone driving ban when he put a banner outside his shop reading "Don't be a TW*T, get a hands free kit" so the "F" word used on clothing would almost crtainly be considered an offence by most in the legal system. I have a sticker on my folder at work which is more discrete, reading "DILLIGAF" (fans of Kevin Bloody Wilson who I met in Birmingham earlier this year will understand that term)

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Class: 'Ranger Varient'

Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:27 am

nice one Don, here's the law:

5 Harassment, alarm or distress
  1. A person is guilty of an offence if he—

1. uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or
    2. displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,

within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby.
  2. An offence under this section may be committed in a public or a private place, except that no offence is committed where the words or behaviour are used, or the writing, sign or other visible representation is displayed, by a person inside a dwelling and the other person is also inside that or another dwelling.
  3. It is a defence for the accused to prove—

1. that he had no reason to believe that there was any person within hearing or sight who was likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress, or
    2. that he was inside a dwelling and had no reason to believe that the words or behaviour used, or the writing, sign or other visible representation displayed, would be heard or seen by a person outside that or any other dwelling, or
    3. that his conduct was reasonable.
:arrow: Public Order Act here

Wobbly-Bob
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'

Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:07 am

Falk,

No legalese here, just my humble opinion. Wearing at a gig, no problem, if that gig is playing rock/metal music etc etc or for that matter, any gig if you think its suitable.

Wearing it walking down the street, if you got the cojones to do it, then go for it. You may get the odd dirty look, but what the hell. But then again, it only takes one person to complain and you may find yourself in the sh*t with the local dibble, but again only my opinion.

As for t-shirts with 'interesting' slogans, you should try www.tinypenis.co.uk they have some absolute crackers. My current favourite which gets worn at lot under my uniform is 'My Boss is a CU*T!', but there are squillions of others.
Sometimes, the light at the end of the tunnel, is a train coming the other way!!!!

TheWanderer
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'

Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:04 pm

Wobbly - Tht link's broken. Any chance of fixing it??

Found someone selling a "FUBAR" T-Shirt - Wasn't he one of our members?

Wobbly-Bob
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:22 am

TheWanderer wrote:Wobbly - Tht link's broken. Any chance of fixing it???

Hmmm, the links right. And the site still appears on when I google it (other search engines are available), but can't connect. Maybe they've gone out of business.
Sometimes, the light at the end of the tunnel, is a train coming the other way!!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic