an end to 'council housing for life'?

for OFF DUTY and leisure topics: so chat about whatever you like except issues that should go into areas above this

Moderator: R C C

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Class: 'Ranger Varient'

an end to 'council housing for life'?

Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:34 am

Image council house for life?

The Liberal Democrat deputy leader today strongly criticised David Cameron's suggestion of bringing an end to 'council housing for life'.
4 AUG 10 Daily Mail
In a sign the move could spark a highly-damaging row within the coalition, Simon Hughes said his party would need a 'lot of persuading' into backing it.
Mr Hughes dismissed the prospect as a 'prime ministerial idea', warned it risked breaking up communities and pointed out the current security on offer was 'important'.
He signalled his party's opposition after Mr Cameron yesterday suggested security of tenure for council tenants could be entirely scrapped.
This would see the most radical reform in housing since Margaret Thatcher introduced the 'Right to Buy' 30 years ago.
Tenants would instead have a lease lasting five or ten years so that those with greater need could have their homes if they found a better job or could afford to rent privately.
It would also mean that parents whose children have flown the nest could be forced to move into smaller homes so a larger family can take over their house.

Mr Hughes said: 'It's radical ideas coming from progressive Prime Ministers but it's no more than that. It's a prime ministerial idea - it has no more validity yet and I think our party would need a lot of persuading that it has merit or could work.'

Daisy
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: an end to 'council housing for life'?

Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:18 pm

Surely council houses are means tested annually anyway? I know they are in Guernsey.

If you are given a house and then your financial circumstance improve, then of course that house should be given to someone who needs it more?

No brainer?

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:22 pm

I rent a housing association house, I cant afford to buy and I certainly can't afford some of the sky high private rents. All I can afford to privately rent is a shoe box with no garden. Let's wait and see what this brings. :slzi:

Daisy
Committee Member
Committee Member

Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:08 pm

Fair enough, but up until quite recently we were paying sky high rates in a privately rented, one bedroomed, garden less flat with a baby. Down the road was a friend of my other half from work. He was on a salary of £50k, plus with overtime, living alone (since his children flew the nest and his Mrs left him) in a 3 bedroomed council house. Should he have that house for life?

Now we have moved into a 3 bedroomed house, the rent is just shy of £1,000 per month. We aren't guaranteed this house for life, and in the mean time are spending so much on rent we will never be able to accumulate a deposit for our own house. Other half's friend up the road is looking at buying a river boat as a second home (mortgage free from his savings).

Yeah, the system is working fantastically!!! :slclap:

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:26 pm

My rent for a 3 bed terrace with decent size front and rear garden with own off street parking costs me £380 a month, a private let will cost me and extra 250 for a 2 bed flat with no garden. :(

Wrist Assessment
Committee Member
Committee Member

Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:33 pm

Surprising how things vary, even within a similar area.

I rent in the same county as Slabbie, about 70 miles from where he is. I'm within a national park, in a detached 3 bedroom cottage built in 1754, complete with a large garden and spectacular views and am paying a reasonable £625 per month. Go figure!
Last edited by Wrist Assessment on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Life is one big DRA

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:39 pm

Wow, a 256 year old garden, nearly as old as you! :slhehe: :slhehe:

Wrist Assessment
Committee Member
Committee Member

Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:27 am

slabber wrote:Wow, a 256 year old garden, nearly as old as you! :slhehe: :slhehe:
Oops! Fixed ta :slt:
Life is one big DRA

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:25 am

Ya still an old fart though!! :slbe: :slbe: :slbe:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic