facial recognition cameras being rolled out

for OFF DUTY and leisure topics: so chat about whatever you like except issues that should go into areas above this

Moderator: R C C

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Class: 'Ranger Varient'

facial recognition cameras being rolled out

Post by falkor » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:30 am

Jaya Narain 7th August 2010
NCP car parks will employ facial recognition technology
Cutting-edge cameras will scan drivers' faces and check them against a crime database as they enter car parks, it emerged last night.
NCP, which is trialling the system at 40 sites, hopes it will help identify potential car thieves.

But privacy campaigners reacted with fury, saying the technology could criminalise innocent people.

Britons are already the most watched people on the planet, with each of us caught on camera an average of 3,000 times a week.

That will increase if NCP rolls out its 'Big Brother' scheme.

The car park giant plans to check drivers' images against a database it will build up of car crime suspects.

It has yet to reveal details of how the database will be established or what information it will contain.

It says the pioneering system will improve security at car parks by providing a warning which will help staff to protect vehicles.
But privacy campaigners argue the technology - which will analyse the faces of thousands of car park users every day - is too invasive and not accurate enough.

David Page, of the No2ID group, said: 'If you are an innocent person who happens to look a bit like a criminal, I would be worried about what the response would be.

'What would happen if you were wrongly added to this database?'

TM1
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Centaur'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Re: facial recognition cameras being rolled out

Post by TM1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:33 pm

Is this legal?

The way things are going they will expect HATO's to issue fixed penalty tickets next! :slnak:
Don't walk in front of me I may not follow,
Don't walk behind me I may not lead,
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic