Motoring Pet Hates

for OFF DUTY and leisure topics: so chat about whatever you like except issues that should go into areas above this

Moderator: R C C

Chocolate boy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Motoring Pet Hates

Post by Chocolate boy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:43 pm

I was talking to a mate recently and he rattled off some of his pet hates with drivers so I thought I'd see what peoples hates are. Ive put some of mine down.

Drivers using front fogs like they look "Cool".
Drivers who forget to turn rear fogs off, turn them on at the slightest sign of mist or do 90 in lane 3 tailgating with them on.
Slow drivers. I know 30/40/50/70 isn't a target but come on, how much congestion is caused by doodlers.
Lorry drivers unable to keep the truck between the white lines.
People that assume just because they are turning right they MUST have the right lane even though pretty signs and road markings show otherwise.
People unaware of ANY rules of the road such as crossing a solid white line, parking on a junction, stopping on crossings/yellow boxes or keep clears.
People who are stopped at a red light but insist on putting it in gear and either holding it on the clutch or keeping edging forward.

Over to you.

The last thing I want to do is insult you......but it is on the list

Daisy
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: Motoring Pet Hates

Post by Daisy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:46 am

Not indicating at roundabouts, especially when turning left.

Living on the Essex/London boarder, I find it strange that as soon as you enter London the standard of driving drops dramatically. So I would say the lots of motorists within the M25, and all of them within the A406.

Nighthawk
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Demi-Undead'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Nighthawk » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:48 am

HGV's who hog lane 2 to try and overtake at .5mph faster than the HGV in lane 1. :slr:
Drivers who use mobile phones whilst driving. :slr:
Drivers who are in lane 2 at a roundabout and insist on turning left across the front of you. (Namely around the Trafford Centre!) :slr:
Drivers who stop in lane 2 to join the queue in lane 1. :slr:
Those who tailgate. :slr:
Thise who don't consider anybody but themselves. :slr:
Drivers who ignore road markings and cut others up on roundabouts. :slr:
When it's frosty and been snowing, those that drive with 8"'s of snow on their roof and a 3" gap on the windscreen to see through. :slr:
Yea Though I Drive Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Fear No Evil....... (Junc 16 - 17)

BravoGolfCharlie1988
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by BravoGolfCharlie1988 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:20 am

Motoring Pet Hates:

1) People who fail to move back to the left after overtaking, and then totally fail to register a few 'friendly flashes' to try and prompt them to move back over.

2) People who drive around in mist and fog without even switching their dipped headlights on, let alone fog lights when visibility drops to dangerous levels.

3) People who sit inches off your rear bumper even though you're driving bang on the speed limit.

4) People who keep speeding up and slowing down, causing you to keep 'leapfrogging' along the length of a motorway while you hold a steady speed. Especially when the speeding up and slowing down is done whilst you're in the process of overtaking...

5) People who fail to indicate on approach to roundabouts or junctions, meaning you miss an (otherwise safe) oportunity to pull out.

6) People who don't acknowledge when you've been courteous, e.g., by holding back and allowing them through a bottleneck.

7) People who can't understand what the enormous arrows painted on the road surface mean, and as a result try to sideswipe you or cut across you, whilst you are correctly following the lane progression.

8) People who don't understand what motorway signals mean and go sailing straight under red X's and then act as if they've had no warning when they have to swerve wildly to avoid an incident.

9) People who decide that in the early hours of the morning red traffic lights don't apply to them and, after waiting at a red for 5 seconds, decide that that lights are broken and pull away.

10) People who cut corners because it's too much effort to approach a sharp entrance onto a roundabout a bit slower and turn the steering wheel slightly sharper and slightly later.

11) Same as above, but from a standing start at a set of red traffic lights so they cut into your lane within seconds of moving off.

12) People who use mobile phones (especially texting) whilst driving - even more so in adverse weather conditions where full concentration of the road is vital.

13) People who decide to park opposite, or nearly opposite, another parked vehicle because it allows them to walk from their car to their front door a few seconds faster, totaly disregarding the issues it causes for other road users.

14) People who, when joining a motorway from a sliproad, decide to put their foot down and merge in front of you with inches to spare, instead of reduce their speed slightly and merge safely behind you.

15) People who act discourteously to LGV drivers. They're (on the whole) skilled people doing a job that that the vast majority of the country wouldn't have the skill to do. Yes, they drive slower because of legal speed limits, but they're doing an honest days work and bringing home a wage.

16) People who beleive their 'premium brand' car automatically gives them superior driving ability in icy conditions, entitlement to bully other road users, and priority treatment when they're daft-enough to run out of fuel on the hard-shoulder.

17) People who buy 4x4 vehicles but never use them for their primary function and then, when it snows, drive around slower than all the 2-wheel-drive cars becuse they're too scared to to use the 4x4 ability.

18) People who seem to beleive that it is acceptable to cut across motorway chevrons at the last moment because they're been daft-enough to almost miss their junction.

19) Related to point number 15 - people who see slow-moving motorway maintainance lorries engaged in on-road operations and, instead of slowing up a little to allow said maintainance vehicles to perform said operations (which are ultimately benefiting all motorists), perform dangerous maneuvers in order to get past and avoid being delayed for 60 seconds...

If I think of any more, I'll let you know... :slr:

Orinoco
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Orinoco » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:56 am

Nighthawk wrote: When it's frosty and been snowing, those that drive with 8"'s of snow on their roof and a 3" gap on the windscreen to see through. :slr:
There is hope yet!

http://www.policeoracle.com/news/Forces ... 28789.html

Tho' I've seen no evidence to suggest that our local constabulary have been doing anything about these "goons"! Have seen our RPU enforcement guys sitting up waiting for the ANPR "ping", watchin' countless "bellends" driving by with 15" of snow and ice just waitin' to fly off and cause mayhem behind or slide forward across their screen at the first dab of their brakes. Not a KPI I guess!

Uhhhmmm............"HA Safety Intervention"????? :slch:
Does this count?
If you try and don't succeed, cheat.... Repeat until caught.... Then lie

Nighthawk
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Demi-Undead'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Nighthawk » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Orinoco.. I'd like to see them try! Spotted a local Police van with around 8"'s of snow on it's roof. Do you think that they might have an exemption?????
Yea Though I Drive Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Fear No Evil....... (Junc 16 - 17)

TM1
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Centaur'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by TM1 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:04 am

My Pet Hates

1/ The Management.
2/ CLOC'S Centre Lane Owners Club.
3/ The Management.
4/ Vehicles with trailers exceeding 60 mph.
5/ The Management.
6/ Motorist's who only look as far as the end of their bonnet.
7/ The Management.

I think you see where I'm going.
Don't walk in front of me I may not follow,
Don't walk behind me I may not lead,
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

HotelEcho1971
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by HotelEcho1971 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:26 pm

TM1 wrote:My Pet Hates

1/ The Management.
2/ CLOC'S Centre Lane Owners Club.
3/ The Management.
4/ Vehicles with trailers exceeding 60 mph.
5/ The Management.
6/ Motorist's who only look as far as the end of their bonnet.
7/ The Management.

I think you see where I'm going.
:slclap: :slclap: :slclap: in total agreement there!
The real leader has no need to lead--
he is content to point the way.
Henry Miller

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic