the actions of a modern day hero?

for OFF DUTY and leisure topics: so chat about whatever you like except issues that should go into areas above this

Moderator: R C C

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Class: 'Ranger Varient'

the actions of a modern day hero?

Post by falkor » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:21 pm

By Kelvin Mackenzie, Last updated at 11:57 PM on 16th December 2011

Could I urge you, if you haven’t already done so, to go on to YouTube and watch the actions of a modern-day hero?

Alan Pollock did what I have always wanted to do but lacked the courage. He threw a drunken, swearing, fare-dodging student off the train so the rest of the passengers could get home in peace.

And thanks to the fact that we all have the ability to become TV film-makers these days by using our mobile phones, the incident has been given a wide airing and has been recorded for posterity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSJBUNOG8kw

As a commuter, I always marvel at the courtesy of ticket inspectors when they face loutish behaviour. I couldn’t take that kind of thing without responding physically and would have lasted a nanosecond if confronted in such a manner.

Train companies specifically train their employees not to respond. In this case, 19-year-old Sam Main, who admitted he was drunk, didn’t have a valid ticket for his journey between Edinburgh and Polmont.

He argued for ten minutes with the ticket collector while the train was stationary (on a train ten minutes at standstill is a lifetime), saying he had given a ScotRail employee the ‘****ing ticket’ and the like.

Finally, Mr Pollock, a burly chap, got up from his seat and grabbed the oik, pulled him down the carriage and then dumped him out of the door on to the platform to the cheers of other passengers. When I watched the clip on YouTube, I cheered, too.

Mr Main, a second-year surveying student at Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, suffered some minor scratching to his face. Excellent.

He didn’t want to make much of the incident afterwards but his dim-witted father, Lenny, said Mr Pollock should face a court for assault.

Is it any wonder that there is a steep increase in this kind of behaviour with idiot parents like Mr Main senior?

If he wonders why his son is such an idiot, could I suggest he look in the mirror? The answer is looking back at him.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... z1gnFiZOlc

TangoOscar31
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Psychic Rogue'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: the actions of a modern day hero?

Post by TangoOscar31 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:45 pm

I'd do the same as Mr Pollock!!! :sleye:

Not sure why the police weren't called immediately by the ticket collector, especially as the train was stationary... :slch:

However, doing such a (well deserved) action by grabbing someone and throwing them off a train is rather risky. Seems assault charges are being used left, right and centre in similiar incidents...

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Class: 'Ranger Varient'

Post by falkor » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:51 pm

seems to me that Alan Pollock used the minimum force necessary to eject a trespasser

surely he was acting as proxy to the eldery ticket inspector

or wouldn't that work in our 21st century justice system ?

Alan Pollock deserves some kind of award in my book, what a total GO GETTER he was, the only person on that train with the courage to actually do something

TangoOscar31
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by TangoOscar31 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:34 pm

You raise some valid points Falkor.

As for the ticket inspector being elderly, that wouldnt affect him from calling the police. He wouldn't need to get physically involved?

The issue is that when someone makes an allegation of assault, the police have to investigate it regardless. The law can be an nether regions sometimes....

My only word of caution of doing what Alan Pollock did is that you just never know who's carrying a knife these days!

pongolad
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Half-Troll'
Alignment: 'Illithid'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by pongolad » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:37 am

TangoOscar31 wrote: The issue is that when someone makes an allegation of assault, the police have to investigate it regardless. The law can be an nether regions sometimes....

My only word of caution of doing what Alan Pollock did is that you just never know who's carrying a knife these days!
From bitter experience, I'll second that TO31 :slr:

Also know of a householder who, on returning home with his wife, was confronted by a thieving tw*t in his own home..... as his wife opened the door the thieving, spineless sh!t punched her in the face, breaking her nose :slnak:
Hubby wades in, gives him a a bit of a pasting, with a bit more for punching his missus (but didn't cause enough damage to warrant a hospital trip), and HE gets done for assault whilst the burglar got off scot free :slr: :slr:

Poor bloke, who hadn't got so much as a parking ticket, got 6 months and lost his job whilst the sith, with a record as long as your arm got sweet FA :slr: :slr: Good old British justice :slno: :slno: :slre:

slabber
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by slabber » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:47 am

A mate of mine had his little boy spat at by a grown man on the estate. He went round to see what had gone on, the bloke comes to the door half dressed, still pished from the night before and launches himself at my mate. Now my mate is not a small bloke and works in custody provision and as a result of this is trained in control and restraint. In the blink of an eye, laddo was on his knees in a goose neck squealing like a stuck pig. Police turn up and my mate gets arrested. Spends the night in the cells, gets a conviction for common assault and had to pay scrotechops compensation! You can't make it up! He was lucky to keep his job. Now if anything kicks off on the estate and police ask for witnesses, he hasn't seen a thing.

pongolad
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Half-Troll'
Alignment: 'Illithid'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by pongolad » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:10 pm

At times it does seem as if they go for the easy conviction :slsix:

Poor Joe public, never been in trouble in their life, tells it as it happened 'cos they think they're being helpful.....then Bang, BiB have got them bang to rights using their own words as a confession :slhuh:

All the scrotes know that they only have to say 'no comment' to everything and they can't touch you :slh:

As much as i have a healthy respect for the BiB, and we have a brilliant working relationship with our local force, I would never say anything again without running it by a solicitor :slch:

mandown
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Elf'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by mandown » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:13 am

Two sides to every story mind.

Ive tried to read into this a little more, and I do find some degree of sympathy for the guy thrown off the train.
The kid is a student, and had just finished some exams, more than worthy of a few drinks, in my opinion. especially given how high level it is what he is studying.
It also appears the fault on the tickets was not entirely his, as he had paid for the correct tickets, but been given the wrong ones. Yes, he probably should have checked, but you tend to trust people.
Given that, in the same circumstance, I doubt I would have just happily got off the train either, although I would like to think I wouldnt have been quite so impolite. Had someone then taken it upon themselves to manhandle me, I can promise you I would have responded in kind. and would have happily justified my actions.
The solution here lies with the inspector. Run the damn train, and arrange for the Police to meet you at a station if that is needed, or take his details for further action to be taken, as opposed to allowing it to escalate into, what is someone grabbing someone else, and causing them an injury.

TangoOscar31
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by TangoOscar31 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:24 pm

pongolad wrote:At times it does seem as if they go for the easy conviction :slsix:

Poor Joe public, never been in trouble in their life, tells it as it happened 'cos they think they're being helpful.....then Bang, BiB have got them bang to rights using their own words as a confession :slhuh:

All the scrotes know that they only have to say 'no comment' to everything and they can't touch you :slh:

As much as i have a healthy respect for the BiB, and we have a brilliant working relationship with our local force, I would never say anything again without running it by a solicitor :slch:
Whilst I agree with most of that, it's the CPS (procurator fiscal in scotland) that decide whether to prosecute or not. The police just gather the evidence... :slgo:

I'd also advise to NEVER be interviewed without a solicitor. A duty solicitor is always available for just this reason.
mandown wrote:Two sides to every story mind.

Ive tried to read into this a little more, and I do find some degree of sympathy for the guy thrown off the train.
The kid is a student, and had just finished some exams, more than worthy of a few drinks, in my opinion. especially given how high level it is what he is studying.
It also appears the fault on the tickets was not entirely his, as he had paid for the correct tickets, but been given the wrong ones. Yes, he probably should have checked, but you tend to trust people.
Given that, in the same circumstance, I doubt I would have just happily got off the train either, although I would like to think I wouldnt have been quite so impolite. Had someone then taken it upon themselves to manhandle me, I can promise you I would have responded in kind. and would have happily justified my actions.
The solution here lies with the inspector. Run the damn train, and arrange for the Police to meet you at a station if that is needed, or take his details for further action to be taken, as opposed to allowing it to escalate into, what is someone grabbing someone else, and causing them an injury.
Spot on. :slgo:

We're only going on what the papers say, and you know how they love to leave out the facts!!

The thing is though, according to the papers, he was drunk and abusive. There is no excuse for that, high level student or not? I have no sympathy towards abusive drunks, as I deal with more than enough every weekend. They deserve all they get in my opinion....

As I said above, the Inspector should have done his job and called the police immediately. After all, it says the train was stationary for 10 mins while all of this was going on.

TangoOscar31
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by TangoOscar31 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:10 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-e ... e-16288101

Interesting "outcome" I see.

Alan Pollock's been charged with assault. The student's been reported for threatening or abusive behaviour and trespass.

Tricky
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'
Alignment: 'Shadow'

Post by Tricky » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:34 am

Not being in full possession of the facts, we never are when it comes to the un-biased opinion of the British Media, and not condoning the attitude of the student, if I'd bought a train ticket in good faith, especially with the cost of them and how much spare cash a student has these days, I would not have got off that train either. And if Mr Pollock had laid hands on, I would have felt justified in retaliation.
Its interesting though, that the conversation has obviously being going on for a little while before recording started, and how do we know the ticket inspector didn't say to the student "I don't care if you've been sold the wrong ticket, it's my train, now get off" or similar such phrasing.
At that point I think I would start to be less than polite, and a lot firmer in my refusal to leave. I have never tolerated being left out of pocket, or services, just because someone is too incompetent to do their job properly.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic