B O R I S

for OFF DUTY and leisure topics: so chat about whatever you like except issues that should go into areas above this

Moderator: R C C

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Class: 'Ranger Varient'

B O R I S

Post by falkor » Sat May 03, 2008 9:06 am

Boris Johnson elected London mayor
Saturday, 3 May 2008 09:17
The outgoing Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone of the Labour Party, has been defeated by the Convervative party candidate, Boris Johnson.

Mr Johson won by a margin of almost 140,000 votes, polling 53% to Mr Livingstone's 47%.

The defeat comes after huge losses suffered by the Labour Party in the local elections in England and Wales.

After the announcement, Mr Livingstone, who had held the post for the past eight years, accepted the blame for his defeat.
Mr Johnson looked forward to a city united in its aims.

The result, which was announced late last night, will put further pressure on the prime minister, Gordon Brown, after Labour suffered heavy losses in local elections across England and Wales.

RTÉ's London Editor Brian O'Connell says it was the culmination of a disastrous day of local election results for Labour.

Just before midnight Mr Johnson was declared the first Conservative elected mayor of London since the job was created eight years ago.

A record turnout of 45% meant the count lasted hours longer than had been anticipated, with both Mr Johnson and Mr Livingstone polling over a million votes each.

After second preferences were allocated Boris Johnson had a six-point margin over Ken Livingstone.

Boris Johnson had been dismissed as a joke by many when he first stood for mayor. But he now controls a budget of more than £11bn with responsibility for transport, policing and planning for a four-year term which will end just weeks before the 2012 Olympic Games open here.

> more

jezza
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'

Re: B O R I S

Post by jezza » Sat May 03, 2008 2:29 pm

Best of luck to him :D
Just say NO to user bars!!!!!

Tricky
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Tricky » Sat May 03, 2008 6:20 pm

I hope London is ready for him :lol: :lol:

I think he is just the sort of breath of fresh air that this country is in dire need of. He has stated that he will do something about the minor crimes on the London public transport system. Good idea, start from the grass roots to curb crime. From little acorns etc

The Punisher
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by The Punisher » Sun May 04, 2008 6:05 pm

Couldn't agree more Tricky.
Children in backseats cause accidents
Accidents in backseats cause children

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Tue May 06, 2008 8:30 am

me too

Image < new recruit?

yay >> Trafalgar Square!! there's Boris!!! enjoying his new found "London" status :D

Haywain
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Chain Master'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by Haywain » Tue May 06, 2008 9:13 am

Only time will tell, but I think Boris will do a good job for London
Regards

Haywain

Meetings didn't make the Roman empire great, they just killed anyone who opposed them!

snafu
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by snafu » Tue May 06, 2008 11:06 pm

IMHO

I know Boris is portrayed as barking mad (like G brown isn't), but I think we could do with a few more politicians who tell it like it is.

Good luck to him. :D
Life, don't talk to me about life.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:58 am

Boris forced to cough up over C-charge fine

By Henry Deedes
Friday, 9 January 2009

It is comforting to know that Boris Johnson is not immune to the draconian measures ordinary Londoners are forced to suffer because of the capital's congestion charge.

The London Mayor has confessed that he forgot to pay the £8 toll 48 hours after he drove to light the Hanukkah menorah at a ceremony in Trafalgar Square last month. As any commuter will tell you, such an oversight automatically results in a £60 fine.

"I was a victim of this wretched system only the other day... I was done by my own system," the Mayor told listeners to Vanessa Feltz's phone-in show on LBC Radio yesterday. "I forgot to pay and then 'bing!' I got the £60 fine which I have just coughed up." The revelation came as Johnson was making the case for a new account-based system, which would make it easier for Londoners to pay the charge.

"That would get away from the crazy system whereby you suddenly get clobbered by these fines," he explained.

The Mayor, it should be said, has taken a somewhat laissez faire attitude towards traffic laws in the past, particularly when it comes to the famous bicycle he chooses to ride around town without wearing a helmet.

Last spring, a Sunday newspaper photographed him shooting through six red lights, then failing to stop at a zebra crossing before finally mounting the pavement.

================================ would you buy the man a pint?

I WOULD! :slhehe:

Alpha Bravo Guy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Elder Bard'

Post by Alpha Bravo Guy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:35 am

Well at least he coughed up and did not try to cover it up or call in favours. :slst:
Please don't steal - the Government doesn't like competition!

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:00 pm

very true, there's more

Jenny Percival and agencies
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 12 February 2009 14.24 GMT Article history
The mayor of London, Boris Johnson, was involved in an expletive-filled exchange with a senior MP who criticised him for giving confused evidence to a Commons committee.

The Tory mayor is said to have used the F-word 10 times and accused Keith Vaz, the Labour chairman of the home affairs committee, of talking "bullshit" during a telephone call, according to the London Evening Standard.

Minutes of the conversation were produced and circulated to members of the committee, the Standard reported. Johnson's aides said he had used the F-word no more than two or three times and was disappointed that a private conversation had been made public.

In a statement, a spokeswoman for Johnson said that the pair had spoken by phone after Vaz and a committee colleague had appeared on BBC television accusing the mayor of being "uncooperative and confused".

The spokeswoman said: "The mayor made his points forcefully and once or twice used strong language, because he believes he has been cooperative and courteous on all the issues of concern to the committee and sought to answer every further question that has been put to him. Despite this, Mr Vaz has repeatedly suggested otherwise."

The conversation took place last Wednesday evening after Johnson gave evidence to the committee about his conversations with the Conservative leader, David Cameron, about the arrest of Tory MP Damian Green. During the session the mayor, who is also chairman of the Metropolitan police authority, initially denied speaking to Cameron about Green's arrest on the day it happened. He later ­confirmed the pair had spoken "briefly" about the issue that afternoon, and then recalled that he spoke to the Tory leader by telephone that lunchtime as well. Vaz described the changes as a "very ­serious matter" and asked him to clarify his account in writing.

Johnson wrote back to Vaz saying he had fully cooperated with the committee and regretted suggestions to the contrary. However, he is said to have been more forceful in his telephone conversation with Vaz, saying: "The key point that is not getting across: I didn't give any f***ing information to Cameron," according to the Standard.

Some members of Vaz's committee have said they were shocked at the strength of Johnson's language and his lack of respect for the chairman.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic