Soldier refused alcohol at supermarket because of uniform

for OFF DUTY and leisure topics: so chat about whatever you like except issues that should go into areas above this

Moderator: R C C

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Class: 'Ranger Varient'

Soldier refused alcohol at supermarket because of uniform

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:13 am

By Victoria Murphy 7/08/2010
A soldier who arrived home after months of fighting the Taliban was refused booze at a supermarket because he was in uniform.
Hero Sapper Anthony Walls had popped into the store to buy beer after a gruelling 34-hour trip from Kandahar.

But the 27-year-old was left fuming when the cashier said she couldn't serve him alcohol while in combat gear.
Image Hero Sapper Anthony Walls with his family
The shop manager was called who told him bluntly: "There's nothing I can do."

Anthony, who was on his way to his three-year-old nephew Jack's birthday party, left his beer at the check-out and left the Co-op shop in disgust.

The 27-year-old said last night: "I was deeply hurt.

"All I was thinking about was getting home to Jack in time to wish him a happy birthday. It was great to be home after a difficult journey and I just thought I'd grab a couple of beers, a luxury I hadn't had in a while.

"But when I came to pay the cashier refused to serve me and rang her bell. A supervisor came along and the cashier explained she was refusing to serve me because I was in uniform. He looked at me and said 'I can't do anything about it'.

"I put the beer down and walked out. I was shocked."

TheWanderer
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'

Re: Soldier refused alcohol at supermarket because of unifor

Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:15 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... arket.html

The Supermarket in question the COmmunist-OP have apologised citing a mistake on the part of the staff involved. Its about time retailers actually understood the Licensing Act and that the only person you cannot serve alcohol to in uniform is a Police Officer.

It's also an offence to serve a person who is "drunk" - How does that work in a pub then?

There has been so much recently about supermarkets refusing to serve people for any reason possible that they may as well stop stocking booze altogether and let more off licences open up.

LANDSHARK
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: Soldier refused alcohol at supermarket because of unifor

Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:16 pm

Of course though they can refuse to sell anything to anyone they want!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic