Army medics drafted in to keep NHS hospital running

for OFF DUTY and leisure topics: so chat about whatever you like except issues that should go into areas above this

Moderator: R C C

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Class: 'Ranger Varient'

Army medics drafted in to keep NHS hospital running

Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:02 pm

by Lachlan Mackinnon, Daily Mirror 18/11/2011
ARMY medics have been drafted in to keep an NHS hospital running for the first time in Britain – because it does not have enough staff.

Stafford Hospital has been forced in to the move to keep its accident and emergency department open during the day.

But the hospital, which is currently at the centre of an inquiry into hundreds of deaths between 2005 and 2008, will still shut A&E at night due to staff shortages.

And the situation will reach crisis when the military medics pull out.

The hospital offered £100,000 salaries and £500 per extra four-hour shifts, but its poor reputation and a national shortage of NHS consultants made hiring impossible.
So two emergency consultants, used to battlefield medicine, and four senior nurses also provided by the Ministry of Defence will keep the ward open.

But Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust chiefs decided the department, which has only four of the six consultants it needs, must shut between 10pm and 8am from December 1 for three months. And the Trust admitted without “urgent action”, there “will be significant risks following withdrawal of the military support”.

The military medics will leave by January 6, 2012, “at the latest” but could go by as early as mid-December.

A Department of Health spokeswoman said last night: “Defence Medical Services are working in Mid Staffs on a temporary basis. The hospital is working with other NHS organisations to overcome its recruitment difficulties, to provide the best possible Accident & Emergency service.”

HotelEcho1971
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Re: Army medics drafted in to keep NHS hospital running

Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:05 pm

Not too sure about the DM reporting here...but if this turns out to be true then it goes to show that reputation has as much to do with the NHS as the skill level of the staff...
The real leader has no need to lead--
he is content to point the way.
Henry Miller

Race Track
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:44 pm

Society is reaching a concerning turning point in a number of areas. All in the name of savings!

pongolad
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Half-Troll'
Alignment: 'Illithid'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:32 pm

Race Track wrote:Society is reaching a concerning turning point in a number of areas. All in the name of savings!
Amen to that, RT :slsad:

For all the politicians talk about 'protecting front line jobs' we're already seeing the reality on the streets.....more managers and reductions in bodies at the coal face including reduced BiB numbers :slsad: A number of 'recently retired' ex-firearms officers are now acting as our chauffeurs :slh:

Recently had the misfortune to need BiB twice in one shift.... took 15 mins for backup to arrive the first time, in three separate vehicles (single crewing is now the norm, allegedly).....disconcerting for the young lady who's flat had been broken in to & not much fun when you're grappling (restraining, preventing self harm :slshh: ) a deranged patient :slsix:
Later that day it took 55 minutes for back up to arrive to evict a violent patient from the vehicle, despite being 400m as the crow flies from the regional HQ and largest nick :slno:

Hospital queueing is now the norm, not just at peak winter times - have even seen the largest hospital in the region close its doors to new patients as it had no beds...... meanwhile they're in the process of closing one local hospital - A&E has gone, the rest to follow within 12 months :slhuh:

People are dying as a direct result of these cuts and I can't see it getting any better for many years to come :slsad: :slr:

TM1
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Centaur'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:22 pm

What we have to remember is that to day it is the survival of the richest not the fitest.
Don't walk in front of me I may not follow,
Don't walk behind me I may not lead,
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic