classic cars could be banned from the roads

for OFF DUTY and leisure topics: so chat about whatever you like except issues that should go into areas above this

Moderator: R C C

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Class: 'Ranger Varient'

classic cars could be banned from the roads

Post by falkor » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:24 am

By Anna Edwards. PUBLISHED:17:15, 6 September 2012| UPDATED:18:27, 6 September 2012
Meddling Brussels bureaucrats want to make modified and most classic cars illegal under radical reforms which would affect millions of British drivers.

The European Commission has proposed a shake-up of the MOT which could cost thousands of jobs and cripple the industry that deals with modifying cars.

Under its plans, all vehicles would have to remain identical to the specification they were in when they left the factory - which would mean classic cars could not even be updated with safer equipment.

The proposed new rules would mean any modifications - from different windscreen wipers to newer brake lights - would mean the car would automatically fail its MOT test.

Banned: Driver Tommy Wareham with a SuperVettura modified Rolls Royce, which is the type of modified car which may fail to get an MOT if EU plans are approved to shake up the road licensing system

The proposed changes would affect millions of motorists who spend billions of pounds per year modifying cars for safety purposes or as a hobby.

One of the suggestions outlined is that all 'components of the vehicle must comply with characteristics at the time of the first registration.

'This may prevent most modifications to vehicles without further approval of the vehicle'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z25rPBRtAe

Asap
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: classic cars could be banned from the roads

Post by Asap » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:28 pm

Mmmm I clicked on thinking this was a thread about some of the older shoguns :slbi: :slsa:
Laying cones-Delaying people, What's today's imaginary KPI?

TM1
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Centaur'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by TM1 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:33 pm

How does that affect kit cars I wonder?
Don't walk in front of me I may not follow,
Don't walk behind me I may not lead,
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Nighthawk
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Demi-Undead'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Nighthawk » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:04 am

Good mornings...
Ok, classic cars not being banned from roads. Like now, if a car fails MOT it's off the road. After November when Pre 1960 cars become exempt from MOTs insurance companies may look at having the vehicles checked by an engineer instead. This however will be more thorough than the MOT system and more costly.
May be a good move in my books. Most classic owners that I know look after their cars pretty well.
Yea Though I Drive Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Fear No Evil....... (Junc 16 - 17)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic