should Post Offices accept Crime Reports?

for OFF DUTY and leisure topics: so chat about whatever you like except issues that should go into areas above this

Moderator: R C C

should Post Offices become police fixed points on the High St?

You may select 1 option

View results

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Class: 'Ranger Varient'

should Post Offices accept Crime Reports?

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:29 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... ffice.html By Wesley Johnson, Home Affairs Correspondent 3:25PM GMT 09 Jan 2013
Stephen Greenhalgh, the deputy mayor of London, said post offices could be used to replace the “underused” counters as staff were typically security-cleared, used to taking cash and often had secure rooms as well.
The Metropolitan Police, Britain’s biggest force, is looking for more than 200 contact points in supermarkets, community centres and libraries where members of the public could access police services as stations close and is in the early stages of planning a trial with the Post Office.

“What we propose to do at this stage, and we are in very early discussions with the Post Office, is to pilot something, to test something out, and to only expand that if it works,” Mr Greenhalgh said.

Post offices could offer a fixed point on the high street, with some Metropolitan Police branding, where members of the public could report issues such as lost property, produce identification, or apply for licences which would usually require a visit to a police station, he added.

"Even very simple crime reporting potentially could be done."

TM1
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Centaur'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Re: should Post Offices accept Crime Reports?

Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:21 pm

Why not re-introduce the blue Police Box. We can use them to either phone a police officer or have them filled with pro forma statements/crime reports, where we could select the form/statement that is the nearest to our original complaint, complete the form; filling in the relevant gaps and pop it in the post.
There is another plus to this think of the fun the kids would have knowing there is a "TARDIS" at the end of the road.

On a more serious note why not fit blues and twos to Postman Pats van give him some handcuffs and pepper spray, and we can save ourselves billions & sack all the police.

"WHAT PLANET ARE THESE PEOPLE FROM"
Don't walk in front of me I may not follow,
Don't walk behind me I may not lead,
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Asap
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: should Post Offices accept Crime Reports?

Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:39 pm

I don't see the problem seems eminently sensible to me.

In the old days post offices were closing so Co-located into convenience stores etc, just take it to another level, & have them as 'reporting points'.
It doesn't bother me, if you don't like it try & find a BIB station that's open.

Or is the worry that the BIB may be more publicly visible as they have to visit /mingle with the public as they go about their work 'collecting' reports
Laying cones-Delaying people, What's today's imaginary KPI?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic