public probation service= high risk offenders only

for OFF DUTY and leisure topics: so chat about whatever you like except issues that should go into areas above this

Moderator: R C C

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Class: 'Ranger Varient'

public probation service= high risk offenders only

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:40 pm

The government has defended plans to allow private firms and charities to supervise low-risk offenders on probation in England and Wales.
BBC NEWS 9 January 2013
Justice Secretary Chris Grayling said, under the plans, security firms and voluntary groups would manage probation on a "payment by results" basis.

Prisoners serving short sentences would also have to undertake compulsory rehabilitation for the first time.

Trade unionists fear that the move could "compromise public protection".

Shadow justice secretary Sadiq Khan said: "Payment by results in criminal justice is untested, and the Tory-led government are taking a reckless gamble with public safety."

But Mr Grayling told MPs that anyone who becomes classified as a danger to the public during their rehabilitation would see their case go back to the public probation service.

He has also said: "It is madness to carry on with the same old system and hope for a different result."

the public probation service will continue to supervise some 50,000 high-risk offenders, including all serious violent and sexual offenders.

Harry Fletcher of probation officers' union Napo said the "astonishing" overhaul was being "rushed through without proper thought to the consequences".

TM1
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Centaur'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Re: public probation service= high risk offenders only

Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:08 pm

Of course this is going to work, The government will make it work.
And when it all goes T*ts up the government will give some excuse that the principle was good and sound but they were let down by the private and voluntary service providers.
Whats the betting that some company is going to make a lot of money out of us tax payers, and some Tory MP gets a job as a CEO/or the like for a company set up to deal with offenders.
Come on we didn't climb down from the trees yesterday. :slre: :slr:
Don't walk in front of me I may not follow,
Don't walk behind me I may not lead,
Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic